• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof Sets - is it better to have the coins in one type holder?

18 posts in this topic

I have a 1937 proof set and all the coins are PCSG PR66 graded except the Mercury Dime, which is graded PF66 in an NCG holder.

For mostly aesthetic reason, I'd like to have the set to be all PCGS graded coins (since 4 of the 5 are alread, and only one is NGC).

I wish they were (mostly) all NGC, since they offer multi-holders so I could strive to cross over the one coin and get them into a multi-holder, but PCGS (weirdly) does not offer a multi-holder, except to bulk orders, which I take to mean dealers submitting a ton of modern proofs or commemoratives.

From a collectors perspective, would having a matched set effect the value or desirability of the proof set, or am I obsessing over nothing?

I'd like to get an opinion before I offer to buy, trade my NGC PF66 Mercury with someone for a PCGS 66 Mercury.

Thanks again.

Bob

From the standpoint of aesthetics, I'd go with the multi-holder hands-down. From what I've seen, that's an incomparably attractive way to display a set like that.

Wow! I can hardly wait to complete my 1937 set someday...

I agree with James that aesthetically, matching slabs are best but I don't think that the NGC slab will have a significant influence on the price of the set. If you're going to sell the set then I wouldn't bother with it but if I were to keep the set then I'd want a matching set.

My objective is to keep this set. I recently upgraded the cent to a PCGS PR66, so now they are all '66's but the dime is an NGC slab, the only odd one. I wish PCGS offered a multi-coin slab to individuals, not simply bulk, since 4 of the 5 slabs are PCGS - so I would only "risk" one coin making the perilous cross over.

If they are all PCGS I can get the 5 coins re-slabbed by them as a multi-holder

If you decide to sell a multi-holder, you will most likely get less for the set!!

I think it is better to just leave it in the individual holders!!

So the way to go is to keep them separated,

I might either send the 1 NGC dime in to PCGS for a cross-over and hope they don't downgrade it, or trade or buy a PCGS dime off someone.

..or do nothing and get over it that the dime in a different holder (shrug)

you're probably right.

I bought the nickel, always wanted a buffalo proof, and the rest came naturally - albeit not cheaply :cry:

thanks for the tips

I like the multi-holders, as mentioned before, they are a great way to display the set.

Right now, I am not thinking about selling them, so I like the set together...if I ever need to sell something, I have a couple of options in selling the set or having them re-holdered into individuals.

Here are a couple (these are still his pictures, I hope to take my own soon) that I was able to get in recent months from a board member (love buying from him, I am never disappointed).

1964PF69Obv.jpg

1964PF69Rev.jpg

1951PFSetObv.jpg

1951PFSetRev.jpg

NICE!

I just bought a magnificent looking 1964 PR68 from another boardie (might be the same one), I didn't get it yet. I was selling off some coins and I'm ending up buying more back... :tonofbricks:

NICE!

I just bought a magnificent looking 1964 PR68 from another boardie (might be the same one), I didn't get it yet. I was selling off some coins and I'm ending up buying more back... :tonofbricks:

I have the same problem!! doh!

Look at jgrinz back there grinning Bob-a-loo, just taking in all the great comiments. :)

Hope that cent is as nice as the coins I got from him...sure it will be!

I had a feeling he had something to do with those beauties you got hm

I bid on a lark, but I have to say I am looking forward to getting it.

You can always specify that PCGS only cross over at the same grade, so if they don't agree, all you are out is the fees and you won't be downgraded.

That's probably what I'll do. I am not currently a member of their collectors club, so I have to pay for a basic membership or submit through a dealer.

I should probably just ante up and join.