• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first coin Fair of the year in the UK .. warning UK stuff as well as USA

8 posts in this topic

Hi all .. Just got back from the first coin fair of the year hear in the UK .. and the closest Large one to me only 2 hours away :o but at least its a nice 10-11 am start .. well it was buzzing with people must have been a couple of hundred there.

and seemed like there were plenty of cash changing hands

There was lots of "high" money coins there and shed loads of hammered and ancient coins for sale.

Not that many world coin dealers but still some nice bits and bobs to be had

h.jpg

Sorry no pictures of the fair itself as "no photography is allowed" guess it must be something to do with the tax man or something !!!

now to the coins.. the American stuff was a bit thin on the ground and there seemed to be a bit more competition this year in fact a few times people were hanging over my shoulder waiting for me to Finnish looking through the dealers selection. ( there was even a USA ascent to be heard buy one of them)

one dealer had about 50 USA coins and a nice group of early stuff like Connecticut / Massachusetts and New Jersey stuff .. but way overpriced i my eyes for the conditions .. also his early silver stuff was in poor condition for the prices .. there was a nice (MS-60+) FE large letters with a small scratch which was tempting until i saw the £200 price tag..

as for the other dealers tables most seemed over priced for upgradable coins.

when i sat down at one table and asked if they had any USA stuff i was shown a handful of stuff and told that the bloke who was sorting a price out with the other dealer of the stall (label price of the handful was £370 which he got for £310) had just purchased most of the USA stuff they had :frustrated: wonder what he got ?

I Find one stall who had 4 Trade dollars (£90-£140 each) and a 1798 dollar in at least VF-20 should have been almost XF but for the flat spots on the revers and a bit of discoloration on the obverse but with a price tag of £3.400 it was out of my league :cry:

so the question is did i pick anything up ??

YES mainly out of the £2 coin boxes and a couple of ? better coins .. so hear you go

From the £2 box .. not a bad grade and now happy sitting in my dansco :)

1942.jpg

1942r.jpg

This also came out of the £2 box and i was well pleased when i saw the date error .. shame about the knocks but £2 for a possible N-4 1847 I can live with it :grin:

1847-1.jpg

1847ddr.jpg

1847dd.jpg

Paid a massive £4 for this one !

1925.jpg

1925r.jpg

And my highest priced USA coin of the day was this £10 WD 1869 Shield nickel which i had to have when i spotted the two rim cuds on the reverse .. well made me a happy bunny anyway :grin:

1869.jpg

1869wd.jpg

WARNING GO NO FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE SOME UK STUFF !!

The next items made the trip worthwhile and could not believe that i managed to pick these up from 3 different dealers.. and such uncommon items to boot !!!

as you know I am mad keen on my Duke of northumberland stuff and the first i found was this Medal/medallion for HUGO PERCY for 1842 and Cambridge University .. I do not know how common it is but the work is amazing and worth every penny to me ..

Sorry about the picture quality but it will not scan

100_0756.jpg

Northumberlandduke.jpg

The next find was a Hareshaw common Perambulation token and hopefully this one will NGC grade as my last one came back Environmental damage) .. and at £35 i think it was cheep as chips (only the 4th one i have ever seen!)

northumberlandpreamb.jpg

Northumberlandpreambl.jpg

And i could not believe it when t stalls along this little stunner turned up !! only the Espe range duke token in much better condition than my NGC graded AU-55 the price was a bit steep but i did knock them down from £75 to £65 for it and I think it has a shot a MS-60's :grin:

Northumberlandboundyt.jpg

Northumberlandboundry.jpg

Well there you go hope you liked the tail..all the best and happy hunting

Like that Cent and the Hugo also Dooly. Man you're gonna have to put US Dollars also to keep me from looking up the cuurency converter. lol