• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I want to buy a 1936 PF 65 Walking Liberty Half Dollar

40 posts in this topic

I like the reverse, at least in teh picture. But I agree, the obverse is rather unattractive.
To me, this is when half a half makes the whole half ugly!!

And yea James, my wording was a bit strong, I could have used unattractive, but I'm sure Mike would agree with me seeing the kind of coin he collects. I'm thinking high end and I believe he even mentioned star, which this coin doesn't even come close to meeting.

In my opinion, hairlines kill the desireability of proof coinage unless they are old and are essentially obscured by original skin. A 1936 WLH is likely to have original skin in the form of light haze, which I do not care for, either, and any hairlines on an otherwise mostly white coin such as that would have me running for the hills.

So Tom, does this mean you might actually approve of my adding a modern coin to my collection?

In my opinion, hairlines kill the desireability of proof coinage unless they are old and are essentially obscured by original skin. A 1936 WLH is likely to have original skin in the form of light haze, which I do not care for, either, and any hairlines on an otherwise mostly white coin such as that would have me running for the hills.

So Tom, does this mean you might actually approve of my adding a modern coin to my collection?

hm hm hm hm hm

Mike, if I may ask, what price range do you wish to be in for acquisition of the walker?

James, I think it would have to be at least a PF 66

This one is well struck and has an attractive and subtle frosting on the devices........ http://teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=2678&lot=1722&imagetype=j2 I'm not sure if that is milkiness or flowlines in the field..also not sure of Teletrade's return policy if it is not acceptable once in hand....

Mike, if I may ask, what price range do you wish to be in for acquisition of the walker?

It's a 1937, but this PCGS PR-66 is another example of what not to buy. I watch 1937s, because I need one of those too, and this coin has reappeared on the market repeatedly over the last couple of years. It looks to be suffering from dip residue, or some other mishandling issues.

I have seen horrid PF-66 and PF-67 coins in PCGS and NGC holders. In many cases, a nice PF-64 or PF-65 would be preferable.

It's a 1937, but this PCGS PR-66 is another example of what not to buy. I watch 1937s, because I need one of those too, and this coin has reappeared on the market repeatedly over the last couple of years. It looks to be suffering from dip residue, or some other mishandling issues.

I have seen horrid PF-66 and PF-67 coins in PCGS and NGC holders. In many cases, a nice PF-64 or PF-65 would be preferable.

I don't see anything that looks like dip residue on the coin - my guess is that it's simply a storage issue.