• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1902-P... comments re: grade

10 posts in this topic

Just saw the posting of a 1902-S by stumpy041486 and wondered about my 1902-P.

(Hope I did the image thing right)

th_1902Pobv.jpgth_1902Prev.jpg

Need bigger pics.... Oh and I posted your url in the "Enter an Image"selection... See the upper left corner of the reply??? it's the third one from the left

This appears AU-55 or so to me, from these images. The cheek looks abraded, and the eagle's breast rounded from wear.

I agree as "P" strikes were fairly good in this year.

Wear can also be seen on the laurel leaves

Unlike the 1902-S that was posted earlier, this coin is missing some mint luster as is evidenced on the reverse between the eagle and the wreath. The shollowness of the breast feathers and wear on the hair above the ear would indicate wear.

The evidence is also found in the wear on the laurel leaves just left of the ribbon. It does not match the wear on the other leaves and indicates a worn spot. Also, the legs of the eagle will usally show wear soon after the breast feather start to fade. This is the case in this coin

Probably wasn't a bad strike origionaly (for a Philly).

two spots are cause for concern in my opinion. The first is the "hatchet" mark just behind Liberty's mouth. The second is the "divot" just to the left of the eagles wing on the reverse. Of course we have to remember that this coin is greatly magnified in this picture!

I would grade this coin an AU53-55. If not for the marks by the mouth, it would go AU58. I hope this helps!

Coinectomy