• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

should NGC.........?

...........follow PCGS' lead and slab body bagged coin in an NGC Genuine Holder?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. ...........follow PCGS' lead and slab body bagged coin in an NGC Genuine Holder?

24 posts in this topic

He's made all the more impressive by his cool type set.

More like hands down SEXY!! lol

:acclaim::grin::acclaim::grin::acclaim:

You fellas have great taste! :insane:

I said no, except for the last question of course. I don't like the genuine holders. Most of the pcgs genuine coins I've seen have been genuine P.O.S.s and if the holder only says genuine then it's only telling half the story. I'd be in support of them if they said "Genuine - Cleaned" or "Genuine - AT" etc...

I think that if it is a key date or valuable coin of sorts that a geniune holder would be nice. It really wouldn't bother me for holed or even at'd coins holered as genuine but with no grades of course and also details as to why not graded. I also voted yes to the last one also. That yellow faced avatar just does something to me! lol

..... if the holder only says genuine then it's only telling half the story. I'd be in support of them if they said "Genuine - Cleaned" or "Genuine - AT" etc...

I'm with you on this one...1000%!

RI AL

NCS should be automatically holdering problem coins so people get the $5 encapsulation fee they paid for. Already discussed, hoping it comes about some day.

Didn't see HELL YES so didn't vote :signofftopic:

Unlike PCGS, NGC has NCS as a sister organization. NCS has been slabbing problem coins with detail grades noting the problem on the label. A service like NCS that will detail the information about a coin instead of saying it is "Genuine" is a better way to go.

What NGC should do is give the submitter an option to have the coins crossed to NCS if it is a problem coin. Today, NCS will cross to NGC is someone submits a coin they suspect that there is a problem but NGC determines that it can be slabbed by NGC. This is done at no charge.

Why can't NGC cross the problem coin to NCS rather than return it in a body bag? With the problem coin in an NCS holder and the NCS label with detail information, it would put NGC ahead of PCGS, giving them a competitive edge.

Just my 2c .

Scott :hi:

I actually disagree with you, Scott. NCS doesn't want to loose revenue so bb'd coins should be put in a generic NCS Genuine holder with no other details unless an additional fee is paid for the detailed no grade. If one wants the full NCS service then they should pay for it.

Full service is actually conservation

When you pay to have a coin graded and encapsulated, you should get just that, or as close as possible to that

So the ideal solution would be to give details graded NCS slab back to the customer in most cases.

It does however leave out the case where conservation should be performed first. In those cases a body bag with a note to send to NCS is still the best option ? (as happens now)

i dont know if i agree with the "sister company". if i sent to ngc , ngc should be the one to do something. not ncs. ncs is a conservation service. not a grading company. i think thats like having a plumber do the framing on a house.

Coinman : I realize that NCS will holder coins as genuine. But when a coin is BB at NGC we have paid for a service. It would be great if they slabbed genuine coins, so we wouldn't have to spend more money at NCS. Aren't the NGC graders qualified to see if a coin is genuine. Just my opinion.

I actually disagree with you, Scott. NCS doesn't want to loose revenue so bb'd coins should be put in a generic NCS Genuine holder with no other details unless an additional fee is paid for the detailed no grade. If one wants the full NCS service then they should pay for it.

NCS would make its money on the conservation.

My suggestion was one that looked at the public face of the Collectors Society business model and make a suggestion within their current structure. The way NGC/NCS currently appears to be structure, NGC encapsulates non-problem coins while NCS does provide this service for problem coins. The suggestion was to keep that distinction but expand the service.

That being said, I don't care who slabs the coin. Unless there is a severe problem, like active PVC damage, slabbing a problem coin with details of the problem and a detail grade would be a good thing.

NCS should be automatically holdering problem coins

:applause:

SCD's and medals should be included, too.

I still like the idea of NGC Genuine over a NCS label better.

I like the idea of the details of the coins problem over just "Genuine."

Like I said, I don't care whose label is on the slab, but if they're going to slab problems coins, I would like to see more information than "Genuine."

Coinman : I realize that NCS will holder coins as genuine. But when a coin is BB at NGC we have paid for a service. It would be great if they slabbed genuine coins, so we wouldn't have to spend more money at NCS. Aren't the NGC graders qualified to see if a coin is genuine. Just my opinion.

Yes the NGC graders are as qualified as the NCS graders...they are the same graders! ;) The difference between the companies is which coin holder the coins go into, and the name under which their taxes are filed. Of course it would be great if they would automatically "transfer" the coins to NCS when they no-grade, and I think NGC is messing up big time by not doing this (especially when NCS will transfer directly to NGC). However, it is unlikey NGC will impliment their own problem-coin grading program, using an NGC slab, when they have NCS across the hall.

I like the idea of the details of the coins problem over just "Genuine."

Like I said, I don't care whose label is on the slab, but if they're going to slab problems coins, I would like to see more information than "Genuine."

I agree with this, a description is needed beyond genuine.

If the graders annotate the reason for the body bag immediately after examining the coin then not much extra time would be used to create a label with a NCS description.