• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

care to guess the assigned slab grade and assign other attributes to this coin?

21 posts in this topic

care to evaulate and give your opinion 893scratchchin-thumb.gif on what the slabbed grade flamed.gif is on the holder of this coin?? and assign 893scratchchin-thumb.gif other attributes to this coin? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and i understand to tell anything from a scan is iffy at best 893whatthe.gif

but this is all we gots on here!

flowerred.gifgive it a try! flowerred.gif

michael shy.gif

oh and devil.gif can anyone guess whose holder this coin is in? flowerred.gif

340101-1830.jpg.e6b81b74a5566e8d14cf490938ee2c4c.jpg

Michael,

From the photo, I think it may be a MS-66, but I see a few marks and ticks and I can't tell if they are on the coin or holder, so I am going to say MS-65 in a PCGS holder. By the way, it is a very nice coin.

John

Hi Michael hi.gif. I think the coin is a technical 65 that could get a 66 because of the beauty of the toning. At NGC, it would get a star designation. cloud9.gif

I can't tell the holder. It has the dimpled clear surface like a SEGS holder and it's not clear enough to be PCGS, but I really don't know. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hoot

That's a PCGS holder. The coin is graded MS64 but is actually a high end MS65 bordering on MS66. Totally original, never messed with surfaces having original, burnt on color near the rims and some minor spotting on the reverse. The bluish phlegmy toning on the reverse is superb and would not have formed had the coin been dipped or otherwise impaired. The strike is commensurate with that of a medal, keeping the series in mind, and the overall look is fabulous. If offered to a knowledgeable numismatist, the coin is worth more than MS65 money, even in the holder. PCGS gave it an MS64 for the following reasons, take your pick-

1) The minor fly-specking on the bottom of the reverse knocked it down one point as they were afraid it was corrosion.

2) They are not used to grading original coins that have somewhat muted, grey-like luster in their central details.

3) The PCGS lottery did not come up a winner for this coin.

4) At the time that this coin was graded, PCGS had not seen much original, Capped Bust coinage and, consequently, they had the bar artificially high for an MS65.

5) They expected a previously dipped coin that would be lighter, but that would not have more luster.

acclaim.gif

The bluish phlegmy toning... is superb...

This is the first time in my life that I've seen the word phlegmy used as a superlative in reference to superb! 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Tom, only you, in all that you do, can get away with this kind of description! insane.gif (Too much time spent with the sick and dying!)

Hoot

whilborg, john you are very smart and you are right on the money! incredible to see all this just from a scan!!!!! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

you hit the holder right on the head!!!!!!!!!!! and this older pcgs holder looks like another services holder !

the coin is a high end ms65 and with the orginal toning never NEVER well almost never seen like this with great lustre and i thick greylike skin to it like a thick greylike glazing like the thick skin on a glazed donut the holder says ms 64 though but the services just do not see or understand these coins at the time and rightly so

some ever so slight ticks but the majority are on the holder as the holder got slid across something and got slide marks on the holder i guess better than the coin!

john you are extremely astute and as a plus you sum it up well sweet and intelligently and to the point without ever seeing the coin in person cloud9.gifremarkable cloud9.gif

michael 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

chinook 893applaud-thumb.gif you would make an incredible coin dealer 893applaud-thumb.gif

you sum up the coin quick and correctly! and totally accurate cloud9.gif

the coin may sit in an older pcgs ms64 holder but is an easy ms 65 coin if not better oh the original price at the time this coin was bought for strong ms65 money at the time!

michael shy.gif

hoot thumbsup2.gif you hit the nail on the head and only from a scan too wow!!!! cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

the coin is in a pcgs holder but an older holder and it looks exactly like an segs slab this holder type was not used too long and from the photo it is extremely close to an segs slab it is the first generation blue tag pcgs slab used in late 1998 early 1999

this coin is exactly like you say hoot you sum it up exactly a technical ms65 i think better and could get ms 66 easy with the toning/originality and also at ngc a star * easy

hoot you are an excellent writer and again sum things up well and to the point with knowledge 893applaud-thumb.gif i hope to see more articles in the coin world from you

michael shy.gif

jom hi.gif i specifically asked what pcgs graded the coin as

and

you specifically answered the question to the point and you got it exactly right ms64 cloud9.gif

you should do that pcgs grading thing i think you would do very well thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

michael shy.gif

tom you are simply incredible i am going to go to the library tomorrow and make a copy of your post for this coin as you sum it up

the way the coin exactly is and this coin is nothing without your word accessment i could never put into words what you just said about it w flamed.gifo flamed.gifw

devil.gifwild devil.gif

the coin is in an older holdered pcgs holder and basically i have never seen a fully struck coin with this originality pre 1835 i am sure they are out there i just have not seen them

tom you are extremely smart as i saw a coin that came close to this ms 64 coin in this thread the other coin was almost as nice as this coin and also in an ms64 pcgs holder in the goldberg sale close to 2 years ago and it went for $3500 dollars and as you say to a knowledgable nikismatist it is worth more than ms65 money and basically uo hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 cloud9.gifflowerred.gifthumbsup2.gif

""""""""""""""The coin is graded MS64 but is actually a high end MS65 bordering on MS66. Totally original, never messed with surfaces having original, burnt on color near the rims and some minor spotting on the reverse. The bluish phlegmy toning on the reverse is superb and would not have formed had the coin been dipped or otherwise impaired.""""""""""

tom you hit the nail on the head again this coin was never dipped and put somewhere as it took without the dip like 65 or more years to get this toning as it has the look you rarely if ever see and you basically describe the toning to a tee words like this are rarely if ever used as you really again do not see coins like this in person the coin has in the middles thickglazed grey lustre just like the thick glazing on a surery glazed donut the lustre is great thruogh the toning on the rims and tom on of the the best strikes on a capped bust half dime i have seen and i have seen amny original proofs that the strike is not as good as this coin or as good too

and tom you are exactly right the toning ast the bottom is not corrosion but the servicres just are not used to seeing thickly muted grey like lustre thick glazed lustre muted so they call the coin ms64 and you are absolutely correct aboujt the lottery 27_laughing.gif

yet other coins are all overgraded and this coin they cant even be fair with lol i mean with coins like these you need to access the whole coin and its surfaces to see the coin is at least an ms65 if not higher not just grade the coin an ms 64 because of the centers and misunderstanding of the coin

and tom yes yesYES!!!!!!!! they would grade a coin higher if it eas dipped with less lustre

THAT IS WHY ALL THESE EARLY PRE 1835 EVEN PRE 1805 COINS ARE ALL DIPPED BLAST WHITE AS THEN THEY GET RAWARED WITH A HIGHER GRADE AND THEY WERE NOT AS NICE AS THIS COIN TO BEGIN WITH BUT BLAST WHITE THEY GET REWARDED MORE HENCE THEY WIN THE LOTTERY AND SELL FOR MORE!

well that is okie such is the coin game and as long as you do not buy these coins you are safe!

well tom what can i say! 893applaud-thumb.gif i am going to make a copy of your post and make sure it gets put with the coin as basically the sum of both the coin and your post are more than each alone! thumbsup2.gifcloud9.gifangel.gifangel.gifangel.gifangel.gifflowerred.gifangel.gifangel.gif893applaud-thumb.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

michael shy.gif

Tom, doesn't phlegm have a yellowish color to it? Never heard of BLUE phlegm, nor have I ever seen it (and hope not to!). Maybe you choked up something from some blueballies er, no, blueberries? grin.gif

Beautiful coin though, Michael, phlegm and all!

Michael,

Thank you. Actually your coin looks alot like mine. But I like yours better. Mine has a bit more toning covering the entire coin which makes it hard to photograph well. But here is my first attempt with the new OTT light.

The fields are very prooflike, in fact I got the coin from a older accumulation where it was stored in a kraft envelope that was marked proof. The variety is LM-1, which is also the variety of the proofs. Actually I am not completely convinced that it is not a proof. But PCGS says it is MS, so therefore it must be. smile.gif

Someday I will get to the Parsippany show and meet TomB so that I could get and equally articulate and eloquent description. wink.gif

589a8b8015b74_340837-Picture083.jpg.d94ff21e4197ff890111664005b051ea.jpg

well i guess the short answer is

just read tomb postand the others above this and well it sums up the coin well

could not say more all these posts are really a great learning tool

cant say any better!!

thanks guys 893applaud-thumb.gif

michael

chinook that coin the 1829 is amazing your reverse is a killer

WOW I CANT BELIEVE IT THESE COINS ARE **Rare** looking like this but a precious few are out there

WOW

easy gem ms65 893applaud-thumb.gif

michael shy.gif

STUNNING coin chinook! smile.gif Thanks for showing it! Another incredibly crisp strike - obverse and reverse. The reverse is killer! Such a small denomination silver that is often flat as a pancake and not well struck. Yours is incredible! You and Michael must have those coins meet! 27_laughing.gif

Hoot

That's a heck of a nice looking coin, chinook! My first thought when looking at the images was that it looked like a proof, and then I went back to read your post and you said pretty much the same thing. I'd love to see those coins in person.

Michael, thank you for the very kind words. It's easy to post statements about your coins, they are cool! cool.gif

Since we are sharing Capped Bust half dimes, the attachment shows a PCGS MS64 that is undergraded. The coin is strongly clashed and the color is a bit less vivid blue than the image suggests. This was taken with film and an Ott light.

341605-E1835P64.jpg.5b971c4a6ff26739a675dab95ceca306.jpg

thanks tom it is easy to post after you

as you do all the work and sum things up really very well

that halfdime you posted tom is really nice and i would like to see that coin and chinooks in person

it is amazing all the great capped bust halfdimes they are extremely undervalued coins

michael

Michael, a mere ms-64 grade is robbery!!!! Is there no justice?!

Taking the semi-prooflife surface and the beautiful toning into consideration then this should be a no-brainer market grade of ms-66!!! And I stand by my guns on that comment!