• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BN, RB, RD Lincoln Cents

12 posts in this topic

I do not collect these coins, but I have always wondered about the 3 varieties, color-wise. Is there someone out there that can post GOOD pics of the three different designations, side-by-side and maybe a word or two about how to distinguish the differences?

See attachment and please tell me which desig. this PR would go as.

Pre-thanks for any posters!

589a8b800cf74_340041-testC001.jpg.f83f2822ae78ccc0f403ae76efd6e745.jpg

Spy88, the two cents you posted appear to be "RD"" examples, which have mellowed little, if any, since the time they were struck.

Different dates of copper coins within a given series might display somewhat different hues/color and still be considered "RD". Due to the alloy and the way coins were produced in different years, one date's "RD" might look noticeably different from another, particularly for older coins such as Indian cents. And, even if not fully "RD", if a copper coin has a sufficiently minor mellowing of color, it can still be called "RD".

Below are four Indian cents - the first three are "RB" Proofs of various colors. You can see that they have varying degrees of "RD" color remaining, in some cases, very little. The fourth coin, the 1882 is a "BN" mint state example, with essentially no original mint red color remaining.

Sometimes, the line between a "RD" and a "RB" or between a "RB" and a "BN" can be very insignificant and the matter of debate, even among experts.

I hope this helps at least a little.

174328302.jpg

18142503.jpg

61119912.jpg

30038781.jpg

David,

Mark has posted some very good info about the differences between red, red/brown, and brown copper. He is correct when he says that the lines between the different designations can be very insignificant, and that even experts sometimes disagree as to what a particular coin should be called.

I have posted a few photos of some Lincoln cents that I own below.

This first coin is a 1995 double die that is full red.

340538-1995%20cent.jpg

The second coin is a 1917 that is a full red that has ‘mellowed’ a little. While this coin is a little darker red than the 1995, it would still be considered a full red by most if not all who view it.

340543-1917%20cent.jpg

This is a 1919 that although full red in the centers has some beautiful iridescent green tone around the rims. What should this coin be called, red or red/brown? IMO this is one of those coins that some may call red, while others would call it red/brown.

340553-1919%20Lincoln%20obv.jpg

This is a 1927 that is toned wonderfully in shades of iridescent pink. Although there is no brown on this coin, it would probably be considered a red/brown coin by almost any one who sees it.

340565-1927%20cent.jpg

Lastly this is a 1915d that is a brown coin. It is a light brown color without any trace of red.

340585-1915d%20cent.jpg

I hope this helps smile.gif

John

As others have pointed out, the coins look red, albeit somewhat mellowed. I like the look of both. There was a very good discussion, not too long ago, about the RD/RB/BN designations given by the services. You may want to look it up.

I almost forgot! foreheadslap.gif

John, those are some wonderful Lincoln cents. They look like they are in an album, were they toned beforehand? The 1919 has killer rings and the 1927 has superb, light color. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Much thanks go out to John, Tom and Mark! Sounds like the three wise men and indeed, you have given me wisdom! flowerred.gif And extremely attractive coins!

EXCELLENT pictures, guys! 893applaud-thumb.gif I now know the differences and nuances of the 3 color designations. I sure am glad I crossed the street!

David cloud9.gif

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding my coins. Yes, my almost complete Lincoln cent collection (only four coins to go) foreheadslap.gif resides in an Intercept Shield album. Before Intercept Shield began making albums, the collection was in a Dansco album. I bought the 1927 in a NGC MS-66 holder, and it already had its tone when I bought it. The 1919 was in a PCGS MS-65 holder when I bought it, but it acquired its tone from the Dansco album! 893applaud-thumb.gif

John

Dang, that's a smoker! thumbsup2.gif I'm assuming the coin had been graded MS65 because of the hit on the "O" of ONE on the reverse? Otherwise, the coin looks nicer than that.

I also have an MS64 1909-VDB with what are likely similar colors. The coin is in one of my safe deposit boxes currently and I don't have a good image. Perhaps this week I will be able to get an image so that we can all look at it together.

Yea, I also assume that the one hit on the 'O' is why it was graded MS65, it is the only mark on the coin, but I guess they felt it was a big enough hit to keep the coin from going higher. I really like nice Lincolns, so I would love to see a photo of your coin Tom.

John

Wow, this is an excellent thread! thumbsup2.gif

Mark, John and Tom, thanks for your contributions, especially to Mark Field who does not merely view this site as a marketing angle. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Spy88, you de man! Thanks for keeping things interesting with your outstanding posts!