• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full Strike Walking Liberty Half

8 posts in this topic

I think Walking Liberty Halves are among the most beautiful of all coins. I'm looking for a fully struck, highly lustrous, high grade type coin. What I would like to find out is which dates typically are known for full strikes and luster (and hence would most likely be something I could look for and bid on). Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

The later Philadelphia mint coins are probably your best bet. If you haven't already done so, I would read through a Walking Liberty Half Dollar text to get some insight on exactly what to look for in striking qualities for the different dates. I have the Fox book, and it is informative in this regard.

You may also want to consider a Proof coin. Almost all of these are fully struck up, and are quite appealing. For the limited mintages, they are reasonably priced and somewhat readily available.

Latter date P and D mint specimens are typically well struck. However, if you find a fully struck latter date S mint, like the 41-S, and it's otherwise an all-there coin, then expect a hefty premium!!!

EVP

jrh,

I'm not sure exactly what grades and price range you're looking for, but I can safely say that we currently have a large selection of high grade Walkers, many of which display sharp/full strikes.

As a (very) general rule, the P-mint issues from the early to mid 1940's are very well struck, as are many D-mint issues. S-mint examples are often inferior, compared to P-mint and D-mint pieces.

Scroll down the list of Half dollars in this link to the Walkers and you can find many images to view:

link to half dollars

Edited to add: There are a number of well made/struck issues in the 1930's as well, but, in many cases, they are not as readily available as those from the 1940's.

I would go with the coins from 1917, they are not prohibitively expensive, yet they have a completely different look from the rest of the series. Aside from the wider rim, they also have a near matte finish that I find quite attractive. Good luck! smile.gif

I'd go for at 1919-D. You should have no problem finding a full strike specimen. devil.gif

jom

PS: Just kidding. laugh.gif