• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Almost bid 1925 Rainbow buffalo

27 posts in this topic

I was just about to bid on this,then I decided it was just a little too good. Gotta be AT right? It ended up selling for $59.00. My bid was going to be 65.00

75560.jpg.a9c97875881c0de0038c1fbc176b3a39.jpg

75561.jpg.07487dd87e80440bc18e036f4a25bc91.jpg

Oh great.I didn't have enough time to get any opinions so I passed. They did have a disclaimer about not guessing whether it would slab or not .Oh well.Even with a 7 day return,I am not qualified to distinguish positively if it's NT or AT. Even if I had it in hand.

Oh great.I didn't have enough time to get any opinions so I passed. They did have a disclaimer about not guessing whether it would slab or not .Oh well.Even with a 7 day return,I am not qualified to distinguish positively if it's NT or AT. Even if I had it in hand.
Well thats kind of strange. And it probably would have given me cause to flinch as well.

Here is the exact quote from down pretty far on the page. I paraphrased. The Ebay seller is SimSion.

"At auction tonight we have a bulls-eye rainbow toned 1925 Buffalo Nickel which we grade as Toned Uncirculated. We purchased this coin housed in a 2x2, though the coin certainly exhibits toning reminiscent of Meghrig album toning. As with all toned coins it is a toss up as to whether or not a TPG will see the toning as natural or artificial. And, even though blazing bright colors are not typically our cup of tea, we do think this one is rather pleasing.

Please make use of our large images to assist you in forming your own grading opinion and bid accordingly. We are starting it off with a token bid, so... Good Luck!"

Here is the exact quote from down pretty far on the page. I paraphrased. The Ebay seller is SimSion.

"At auction tonight we have a bulls-eye rainbow toned 1925 Buffalo Nickel which we grade as Toned Uncirculated. We purchased this coin housed in a 2x2, though the coin certainly exhibits toning reminiscent of Meghrig album toning. As with all toned coins it is a toss up as to whether or not a TPG will see the toning as natural or artificial. And, even though blazing bright colors are not typically our cup of tea, we do think this one is rather pleasing.

Please make use of our large images to assist you in forming your own grading opinion and bid accordingly. We are starting it off with a token bid, so... Good Luck!"

I think they were being as straight as they could be and I agree with thier assessment... But I think with 7 day return If I were interested in the coin I would have given it a shot..

You're right Maulemall.I'm just a bit gunshy.There is so much junk out there,when something like this comes up,it's hard to believe.Probably why it sold for $56.00. That and the marks on the chin and cheek.Still I wish I'd have come across it sooner and posted in time for some opinions.

You're right Maulemall.I'm just a bit gunshy.There is so much junk out there,when something like this comes up,it's hard to believe.Probably why it sold for $56.00. That and the marks on the chin and cheek.Still I wish I'd have come across it sooner and posted in time for some opinions.
You don't know that you would have won it with your higher bid so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...

It was pretty but technically I don't think it would grade that high..

But keep the pics ,,If the buyer does send it in and it does grade I think you will be seeing it being offered again... For a wee bit more though..

I think this is an NT coin and with a fair strike, but what would have concerned me is the possibility of carbon spotting on the reverse. The nick at the mouth and cut on the cheek wouldn't concern me as does the black spots on the reverse.

Jim

For me, this is blatant AT.

One of the rare times I am going to dissagree with you.

Prudden, I had that on my watch as well.

I personally own a few coins that look like that, not in that grade, but these were in cardboard holders, which turned them those colors. I will see if I can hunt down the photos.

These aren't quite as vibrant as the original shown above. Those images might be a tad juiced or white balance could be off, but my buff does show the same type of toning.

1936Satinobv_107.jpg1936Satinrev_116.jpg

I just got home and am actually seeing it on my own computer and I am amazed at the difference...

If I had seen it on my comp and even though I don't collect buffs I would have probably put in a bid...

Robec,, thats a sweet coin :popcorn:

Without reading the description I might have taken a chance, but reading the whole TPG clause would put the kibosh on it.

I will defer to Bruce's opinion on this, and I would very much like to see your pictures. That being said, such vibrant toning on a nickel is rare, usually it is more pastel, such as Bob's picture. Finding a nickel with reds and greens, toned like you would see on silver, is very unusual. This alone makes me suspicious of it.

I checked out the seller and he has a great ebay feedback record. One negative because the buyer said he juiced a common Morgan graded by NGC as MS63*. The buyer paided $121 for it and that seems reasonable. His other coins in his store do not show any blatant AT coins for sell. With a good return policy and all the information given........I definately would have considered it a bargain at $65. But stated before in the thread $65 might not have been enough.

James, I understand why you may think this coin to be AT, but to believe it to be blatantly AT-I don't agree with you in this matter. If so, then I have seen several like coins in holders(which does not prove anything) and have never thought them to be AT. JMO

I've attached a sample.

Jim

1938DBuffaloNickelrainbotoned.jpg

Edited to apologize to Toned, got this coin off your site,but had not read your post as of yet. So sorry to all for the double post.

Jim

Oh well,I guess I'll shoot my self now. Ah,forget it.It's just a pretty coin. I'll find another.
Thats the ticket... Theres always tommorow :popcorn: