• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879 MORGAN DOLLAR

17 posts in this topic

I would say MS63 but I also think the 2 dings on the chin would give it a no grade!!
Those two dings will knock it a point but are those lines on the cheek on the plastic??

I would say MS63 but I also think the 2 dings on the chin would give it a no grade!!
definitly not as a 1878

He made a typo...Big deal!! Not everyone is perfect like you!!

He still wanted people to guess the grade!!

definitly not as a 1878

He made a typo...Big deal!! Not everyone is perfect like you!!

He still wanted people to guess the grade!!

lol ... Don't stroke out squidward

Probably would not grade too many issues

Cleaned and retoned

Chin hits

Reverse hit scrape at 9:00 "UN"

Scratch across date

Details are very nice though

This dollar came from the same uncle who had the Columbian Half dollar some boardies also described as being cleaned and retoned. At that time I stated that it had been wrapped in toilet tissue for many years. I think that's what caused the toning, not any cleaning or chemical treatment. It's never been out of our family.

As I have stated in past posting, I am not as experienced in coin grading as comics, but I didn't know bag marks disqualified a coin from grading. Why is that?

I don't see anything on this coin which would prevent it getting graded. Remember, these pictures are magnified several times - those marks are really not that bad. I think it would get a 63.

I think the coin is technical grade MS-64, but would probably get an MS-63, because it has no "pop" (luster). The marks at the bottom of the cheek are normal for a Morgan Dollar, and should in no way prevert it from getting a grade.

Probably would not grade too many issues

Cleaned and retoned

Chin hits

Reverse hit scrape at 9:00 "UN"

Scratch across date

Details are very nice though

Funny quoting myself

If the toning passes muster

I notated the marks for grading purposes, if it grades MS63

but its the scratch across the date that will BB this coin in my opinion.

I think the coin is technical grade MS-64, but would probably get an MS-63, because it has no "pop" (luster). The marks at the bottom of the cheek are normal for a Morgan Dollar, and should in no way prevert it from getting a grade.
I think that the denticals above the R on the obverse is your only real problem.. Not a prime focal area but it sure does grab your attention...

Edfited to add ... :gossip:It's still a 79