• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need numismatic book recommendation

10 posts in this topic

I am looking for a couple books on numismatics, my main interest are silver dollars but halves are OK too. Want books with a lot of really nice color pictures so i can also learn about the differences in grading, toning, etc.

thanks in advance.

Are you more interested in books on coin grading or books on silver dollars and half dollars?

There are some general books and several specific books, depending on which coin series you're interested in.

Also, except for some of the newer books, most coin books don't have color pictures (because it's more expensive).

You might be interested in the book on coin grading from Coin World. I believe it has color pictures and also "maps" that show where a coin shows wear first.

edited to add: It's called "Making the Grade".

You might also be interested in the Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection by PCGS. You should get the first edition (which is 8 1/2 by 11) and has glossy paper and lots of pictures.

Also, except for the Red Book, most books on coin series are pretty specific, such as Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars, Eisenhower Dollars, Kennedy half dollars, Franklin half dollars, etc.

Which series are you interested in?

I second the recommendation to "Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection, FIRST edition. The second edition isn't as good. I look up all sorts of stuff in here (first edition).

For grading I STILL like the Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards 6th edition. You will learn at this thread that you can't grade a coin from a picture, which is absolutely true...but you can get a sense or a rough idea of what to look for. A new book that I don't like as well but still is pretty good is "Grading Coins by Photographs". A book that I have not seen mentioned here that I think is very good as far as showing high points and wear patterns (using color diagrams) is "How to Grade U.S. Coins", by James L. Halperin. While it doesn't deal with low grade coins, the descriptions of areas on the coin to look for wear (highpoints) as well as marking areas in color that show "visual impairment severity levels" is quite handy.

There is a brand new book out on Silver Dollars,...can't remember the title but I read quite a bit of it and found it very good. Someone will jump in I'm sure and tell you the title. Guys, it's the one with the red cover...it is in my wife's library thanks to a kind donation from a participant here.

I agree "Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards 6th edition"

I use the Red Book for quick references.

Overton of course the authority on Bust Halves varieties

Hey, the forum has taught me plenty as well, lots of experience SlumLord98 comes to mind

Do you mean "A Guide Book of Peace Dollars" from Whitman Publishing LLC? (By yours truly)

you need to get the original pcgs guide to counterfeit detection and grading coins

the large edition with the glossy pages you will love this for morgans and

it fits all your needs tons of color morgan photos in all venues

of grading strike AT NT etc.

RWB.

I'm no good with names (or titles obviously) but I enjoyed your book, "A Guidebook of Peace Dollars" and learned quite a lot from it. Had a great time checking for interesting varieties (I have about 20 coins) and though I didn't find any, the searching was sure fun.

The 1921 dollar information ws really good too and offers a lot of really interesting information.

For any Peace dollar buff out there...this book is a must have. Regretfully, it had been put on call by another library patron so I had to return it to the library where my wife is director. (Even librarian's husbands don't get special treatment!!) :(

Ri Al

If you can deal without the color to begin with, you can find three top half dollar books for free online at Stella along with several more. You cannot beat the price and as they are online require no storage space. I would highly recommend Roger Burdette's "A Guide Book of Peace Dollars"--great work. Then of course there is "The Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars" by Leroy Van Allen.

Do yourself a favor and join VAMWORLD which again is free. Beginners have such a free arsenal to draw from today and are so much luckier for it.

By the way I see that Roger has replied to your post as RWB. Its not often one has the ability to speak with the author as readily available as Roger makes himself to be.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Jim