• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878 8TF VAM Help

9 posts in this topic

Interesting base on that R. I only have the "top 100" book (I assume there is a book that has more listed...VAMS are not my thing). Vam 5 shows a doubled R I B

but on the reverse, the lowest tail feathers on both sides (really very thin ones) don't seem to match your coin.

I have a hard time telling the difference between reengraving and doubling, but I wonder if your 'doubled letters" are just reengraved so I'm not sure what is going on with the "doubled" letters in LIBERTY, the U and that star. I seem to remember someone posting a really good explanation of doubling vs. re-engraving and perhaps someone out there can locate it. No die crack is mentioned in "top 100" for VAM 5 between stars and I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at around the eye area.

Vam 11 refers to a triple E in E Pluribus...and in the VAM book, the star before the E appears to be doubled (or recut) like yours (hard to tell from the VAM book photo). You would have picked up on a triple E I'm sure .

Well, now I was curious so I went to Cherry Picker's guide and they do have a VAM 14-11 with a spike coming out of Liberty's eye as well as a bulge at the top of the eyeball but that doesn't match YOUR Liberty's eye.

I did locate some examples online of "re-engraved Morgans" and I sure can't tell the difference in those and your coin.

In other words...I don't have a clue...except I don't think you have a VAM 5.

Maulemall..

Thanks for the site. It's a "favorite" now so maybe next time someone asks a good question, I can give a better answer!

RI AL

Maulemall..

Thanks for the site. It's a "favorite" now so maybe next time someone asks a good question, I can give a better answer!

RI AL

I use it all the time.... You can also contribute to the wiki pages and if you use them you should contribute as well...

ATS they said it was VAM 17 and after looking at it in more detail I agree with them.
The 1878 Morgans are to me the most interesting of all Morgans minted. The VAM search for this year alone is almost impossable...

Yes, at one point in time I was going to try and get an example of each VAM for just the 1878 8TF varieties but gave up on that.

Yes, at one point in time I was going to try and get an example of each VAM for just the 1878 8TF varieties but gave up on that.
I tried to do the same exact thing.... This is the one that killed me... I must have looked through Thousands and in the back of my mind it was always,,,You'll never find it..

Only 300 minted and who knows how many survived all the meltdowns..