• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the CAC use this place as free advertisement or...

62 posts in this topic

should they have to purchase space like everyone else..

Sorry, it must be the time change. ???? What are you referring to?

The CAC..

And their ability to advertise their services through certain members of the board for free..

The CAC..

And their ability to advertise their services through certain members of the board for free..

Oh, you mean like this thread?

I am not a slabbed coin collectors and pay little attention to stuff like that.

The mods (and apparently C-S) don't seem to have a problem with Mark's post(s).

The CAC..

Oh, you mean like this thread?

I am not a slabbed coin collectors and pay little attention to stuff like that.

The mods (and apparently C-S) don't seem to have a problem with Mark's post(s).

Exactly like that and even though the mods don't care should it be labeled as spam...

I don't have any interest in CAC and none of my slabs have CAC stickers on them because I have never sent any in but I did think it odd everyone is slamming this guy for posting about his expirence with a company. How many post are there about Ebay, Paypal, PCGS, Heritage, Teletrade and other companies out there.

Most the post I have seen about CAC are people complaining about the lack of information on there site about how many coins get a sticker by grading service and other stuff. Now you have a guy that is trying to share information about there service and how he DIDN'T get a sticker and people can't seem to stop accusing him of doing it for some type of gain.

How can it be spam when the originator has nothing to do with CAC? That would be like calling a thread that you start about Coin World spam.

Just because you have no use for a service, doesn't mean it isn't useful. You're like a person living in the mountains deriding flood insurance as completely fraudulent - ignoring the fact that some people do live in the danger zone.

How can it be spam when the originator has nothing to do with CAC? That would be like calling a thread that you start about Coin World spam.

Just because you have no use for a service, doesn't mean it isn't useful. You're like a person living in the mountains deriding flood insurance as completely fraudulent - ignoring the fact that some people do live in the danger zone.

TDN you know I don't care one way or the other what happens with the CAC... I ,from the begining, Have taken no position for ar against the cac and don't now..

I will say this though... I think it's just another excuse for people to not take the time or expand the energy to actually learn about the coins...

I don't appreciate the crutch mentality..

OMG are you joking!!

Nope,,, And it is Sunday.... Leave the lord out of it.

lol

OMG are you joking!!

Nope,,, And it is Sunday.... Leave the lord out of it.

lol

WOW....that was almost funny!!

TDN you know I don't care one way or the other what happens with the CAC... I ,from the begining, Have taken no position for ar against the cac and don't now..

I will say this though... I think it's just another excuse for people to not take the time or expand the energy to actually learn about the coins...

As I stated in another thread: I have collected coins for 40 years. And yet I cannot tell many a coin that's been lasered, or puttied, or had metal moved, or been cloroxed, or luster enhanced, etc. So forgive me if I desire a second opinion from an independent expert before I lay out $50k+ on a coin.

As I stated in another thread: I have collected coins for 40 years. And yet I cannot tell many a coin that's been lasered, or puttied, or had metal moved, or been cloroxed, or luster enhanced, etc. So forgive me if I desire a second opinion from an independent expert before I lay out $50k+ on a coin.

So should there be a value cut off point?? Or starting point as it were??

Should every coin that is in plastic be stickered??

Sure, and anyone who posts a coin should also pay to advertise. After all, many of the coins mentioned will be sold at some point, sometimes in the near future.

If you mention a coin show, the promoters should kick in, and if you mention a coin dealer, he/she should also have to pay for it.

It's a fair policy so long as it is applied consistently.

Sure, and anyone who posts a coin should also pay to advertise. After all, many of the coins mentioned will be sold at some point, sometimes in the near future.

If you mention a coin show, the promoters should kick in, and if you mention a coin dealer, he/she should also have to pay for it.

Come to think of it ,,,NGC might be loosing a Ton of revenue...

At least Ebay has a r o v e r that NGC makes a little money with.

My 2 cents: not a big deal. It would only be a deal if that was all anyone wrote about. Mark clearly is not in that category.

Although I care nothing at all for CAC, I don't think Mark particularly overdoes it on the CAC threads. I don't think he's really started all that many in the past couple of years. I'd say that except for that couple of months during their inception, when it seemed like 3/4 of the threads here and ATS were about CAC, there really hasn't been a deluge.

I've handled three coins now where CAC flat out missed the boat, and they did make good on one that I know of (didn't bother following the other two). In fact, I commend John Albanese for taking the time to speak with me directly about that particular one. I can only say that the vast majority of the ones with CAC stickers have been properly graded, but that isn't necessarily saying much, since I think the vast majority of certified coins are properly graded.

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in using CAC myself. If I can't get myself educated on what to look for, then I should take up a new hobby.

Although I care nothing at all for CAC, I don't think Mark particularly overdoes it on the CAC threads. I don't think he's really started all that many in the past couple of years. I'd say that except for that couple of months during their inception, when it seemed like 3/4 of the threads here and ATS were about CAC, there really hasn't been a deluge.

I've handled three coins now where CAC flat out missed the boat, and they did make good on one that I know of (didn't bother following the other two). In fact, I commend John Albanese for taking the time to speak with me directly about that particular one. I can only say that the vast majority of the ones with CAC stickers have been properly graded, but that isn't necessarily saying much, since I think the vast majority of certified coins are properly graded.

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in using CAC myself. If I can't get myself educated on what to look for, then I should take up a new hobby.

I've handled three coins now where CAC flat out missed the boat, and they did make good on one that I know of (didn't bother following the other two).

How or what was the compensation?

As it should be..

I've handled three coins now where CAC flat out missed the boat, and they did make good on one that I know of (didn't bother following the other two).

How or what was the compensation?

CAC bought back the one coin I followed. I did not follow up on the other two.

Come to think of it ,,,NGC might be loosing a Ton of revenue...

At least Ebay has a r o v e r that NGC makes a little money with.

I guess that would make NGC looser.

I don't really have an opinion as to your OP, but as this has degenerated to naming Mark as an advertiser for CAC, I will offer this---I respect Mark's posts as infromative for many reasons, but one of the main reasons is that he tends to call it like it is. I cannot think of another coin dealer that will list his coins as "bb'd by NGC, PCGS, or CAC". That to me represents the most honesty in selling coins that I can imagine in this day and time. I also believe there to be many, many other honest dealers and I regularly purchase coins from them and hope to be able to buy from Mark one day. I do not defend the content in anyones posts, but do feel if in telling of an event that a company benefits from it, so be it. I cannot think of a day going by that something along this line has occured on this forum and do not feel it has been done to get 'free' advertising by a company.

I have never defended CAC in any way shape or form as I do not feel they are beneficial to the type and value coins the average collector(such as myself) purchases or collects, but do feel they benefit higher end coins and the ability to sell these coins sight unseen(again not believing I could ever buy a truly high end coin sight unseen should I ever be fortunate enough to afford to do so).

JMO---Jim

I don't really have an opinion as to your OP, but as this has degenerated to naming Mark as an advertiser for CAC, I will offer this---I respect Mark's posts as infromative for many reasons, but one of the main reasons is that he tends to call it like it is. I cannot think of another coin dealer that will list his coins as "bb'd by NGC, PCGS, or CAC". That to me represents the most honesty in selling coins that I can imagine in this day and time. I also believe there to be many, many other honest dealers and I regularly purchase coins from them and hope to be able to buy from Mark one day. I do not defend the content in anyones posts, but do feel if in telling of an event that a company benefits from it, so be it. I cannot think of a day going by that something along this line has occured on this forum and do not feel it has been done to get 'free' advertising by a company.

I have never defended CAC in any way shape or form as I do not feel they are beneficial to the type and value coins the average collector(such as myself) purchases or collects, but do feel they benefit higher end coins and the ability to sell these coins sight unseen(again not believing I could ever buy a truly high end coin sight unseen should I ever be fortunate enough to afford to do so).

JMO---Jim

I think that Mark's admiration for the CAC has been noted many times. On these boards he is thier biggest Cheerleader and I am sure that because of this he has gotten a few members converted to the CAC brand..He said repeatedly he is not affilliated with the CAC and I believe him...

But the CAC is a Business and as a business don't they have an advertising budget..

Should NGC be a part of that budget??

maulemall its your post is this another CAC ad most everything on the web is a ad of one type or another good bad guess it depends on how you read it.For me I have no CAC coins - 2 NGC coins that i recieved along with 5 or 10 free submission coupons that I have never used figured I enjoy the fourm and didn't want to be cheap about it also have 1 pcgs graded coin that I won in a contest here . You sound like you have an axe to grind with sombody.If don't care for something click next till you see something you like .I enjoy the fourm and the people on it most know more than me about coin collecting but none can say they enjoy it more than me .Nobody like's a whin.er and that's the rest of the story///sure miss Paul HarveyAurandt

maulemall its your post is this another CAC ad most everything on the web is a ad of one type or another good bad guess it depends on how you read it.For me I have no CAC coins - 2 NGC coins that i recieved along with 5 or 10 free submission coupons that I have never used figured I enjoy the fourm and didn't want to be cheap about it also have 1 pcgs graded coin that I won in a contest here . You sound like you have an axe to grind with sombody.If don't care for something click next till you see something you like .I enjoy the fourm and the people on it most know more than me about coin collecting but none can say they enjoy it more than me .Nobody like's a whin.er and that's the rest of the story///sure miss Paul HarveyAurandt
seriously,,, No Axes... Just discussions.. (thumbs u

I think that Mark's admiration for the CAC has been noted many times. On these boards he is thier biggest Cheerleader and I am sure that because of this he has gotten a few members converted to the CAC brand..He said repeatedly he is not affilliated with the CAC and I believe him...

But the CAC is a Business and as a business don't they have an advertising budget..

Patrick,

If in truth, you believe that Mark is not affiliated with CAC, then why should CAC budget as overhead an advertising cost associated with his NGC forum posts?

Jim

Patrick,

If in truth, you believe that Mark is not affiliated with CAC, then why should CAC budget as overhead an advertising cost associated with his NGC forum posts?

Jim

This forum is an actual no cost freebe to people who collect coins.

The CAC is a business that is for profit.. Why wouldn't the CAC want to advertise through a company that is giving this much knowlage freely?

In truth everyone who deals coins that posts on these boards gets a ton of free publicity.... Mark included.. The way I see it is Mark's contributions are his payments for the amount of advertising... The same with James,, And Bill, and Greg and PatB and TomB Etc,etc,etc.......

If the CAC wants all the advertisements they recieve maybe they should contribute to the boards...

or at least Mr A. could stop by and answer some questions..

Patrick,

Jim

This forum is an actual no cost freebe to people who collect coins.

The CAC is a business that is for profit.. Why wouldn't the CAC want to advertise through a company that is giving this much knowlage freely?

In truth everyone who deals coins that posts on these boards gets a ton of free publicity.... Mark included.. The way I see it is Mark's contributions are his payments for the amount of advertising... The same with James,, And Bill, and Greg and PatB and TomB Etc,etc,etc.......

If the CAC wants all the advertisements they recieve maybe they should contribute to the boards...

or at least Mr A. could stop by and answer some questions..

And if someone talks about a coin purchased from Heritage, Greg Rohan should contribute here or pay for that person's post. Makes sense.