• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two Bust Half's

7 posts in this topic

1830, AU 53

1839 AU 55. The flatness of the wing tips was a concern until I looked at the ANA book and their example of AU (not sure what number) shows the same flatness.

Mark T nailed the Overton as 122. Flat right side stars, recut O in OF (something going on with the F too but it might be your photo) and the left upper border of the shield extends (is a bit thicker) to the right.

1839 ...I don't go there with varieties. Tried and failed on all 3 of my reeded edges. So many varieties. A while back, someone was kind enough to print a site for the "Variety Identification Manual for United States reeded Edge Half Dollars, 1836-1839" by Jules Reiver. I don't know if it is still online (the book) but you are welcome to borrow mine if you would like to give identification a shot. Not an easy task...I'm going to try again sometime....

Ri AL

1830, AU 53

1839 AU 55. The flatness of the wing tips was a concern until I looked at the ANA book and their example of AU (not sure what number) shows the same flatness.

Mark T nailed the Overton as 122. Flat right side stars, recut O in OF (something going on with the F too but it might be your photo) and the left upper border of the shield extends (is a bit thicker) to the right.

1839 ...I don't go there with varieties. Tried and failed on all 3 of my reeded edges. So many varieties. A while back, someone was kind enough to print a site for the "Variety Identification Manual for United States reeded Edge Half Dollars, 1836-1839" by Jules Reiver. I don't know if it is still online (the book) but you are welcome to borrow mine if you would like to give identification a shot. Not an easy task...I'm going to try again sometime....

Ri AL

Heritage has the Reiver manual for Reeded halves on their website, but their format is really aggravating. They gave me permission to download it all and convert it to pdf, so I have it as one file, if anyone wants it PM me your email address.