• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One last Guess the Grade and Overton! 1805!

8 posts in this topic

Ok, one last one for today, this one is now my oldest bust half, I picked it up today at a local show, take a shot at the grade and Overton!

1805p50cobv.JPG

1805p50crev.JPG

Attributing 1805s is relatively simple. Looking at the obverse this is from the new hub of 1805 (main diagnostic is the lowered left curl atop the head). This limits the possibilites to O.103-O.109 and O.114. First, O.107 and O.114 can be eliminated as they have a much smaller 5. O.103 can be eliminated as this coin hasn't the obverse crack found on all O.103s. This leaves O.104, 105, 106, 108, and 109 as possibilites. Turning the coin over, O.106 and O.109 can be eliminated as they both have a broken lower right serif on F. These two die marriages were the final two struck in 1805. Also, O.104 and O.105 probably can be eliminated as neither exhibits this serif except on very high grade coins (EF being high grade on an 1805 half). However, let's look closer and see what else can eliminate those two die marriages. On the reverse of your coin, the eagle's beak is affixed to the point of the star, while on 104 and 105, which share the same reverse, the eagle's beak sits atop the horizontal of the star. Thus, your coin has to be O.108, a very scarce die pairing.

I'd grade it F12, maybe deduct for a cleaning. To be a VF, it would have to have more letters visible on the reverse ribbon.

Wow SlumLord, that was a simply awesome post! I admit freely that I have so few draped busts, I don't even know where to begin in attributing them, but your post taught me a lot (and made it sound so easy!).

Well, I bought the coin as a Fine, raw and I think it was a great deal. I will go with Slumlord as an O-108, thanks everyone!