• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-evaluation of the Jefferson Wartime Nickels

16 posts in this topic

Recently you (NGC) added the 1943-P 3/2 to the registry set.

I was wondering why the 1942-P T-2 Silver Proof isn’t in the set.

Do you think we could get the 1942-P T-2 Silver Proof added?

Do the registry members agree with me?

Thanks,

Jaime

42-p Type 2 is not available for a registry addition ???

Definitely an oversight I am sure

The difference between a Type 1 and Type 2, 1942 P Jefferson Nickel, Check the back (reverse) of the nickel and if there is a large P above the dome of the Jefferson Memorial then it is a Type 2 1942 P Jefferson Nickel. If there is no mintmark on the coin at all it is a Type 1.

1942-P Type 1 not Silver....not in set

1942-P Type 2 Silver...is in the set!!

Jaime,

I agree that they should include the 1942-P Proof in the war nickel set but not in the regular Jefferson (1938-64) set. Besides, if they added that coin, I would be vaulted way up the ladder since I own a 1942-P NGC PF66 CAMEO.

I agree also. The 1942-P TII proof has been a recognised variety, by all nickel collectors who I am aware of, since I started collecting nickels in 1955.

If we are going to talk about varieties, then I have a question. Why is the 1943-P "doubled eye" variety worth the exact same amount of registry points as the regular 1943-P? The standard 1943-P in MS67 has a population of 1742/15 and is worth 143 points. The 1943-P DDO (doubled eye) has less than 100 certified examples. I think the registry point values for this variety should actually be higher than that of the 1943/2-P overdate. What say you?

Guest Joiseygirl

When creating this set we followed a traditional framework which was to collect the MS issues.

When creating this set we followed a traditional framework which was to collect the MS issues.

I am not suggesting that the doubled eye variety 1943-P be given it's own slot, only that it be rewarded with more points for those that choose to use it in the 1943-P slot. In the larger Jefferson set (1938-64), the 1939 Rev of 40 doubled MONTICELLO and QDR are both rewarded with huge points. The 1943-P doubled eye variety is easily as rare as both of those varieties. Just to give an idea in the price difference. A 1943-P 5FS MS67 is about $500. The last 1943-P 5FS MS67 Doubled Eye sold for $11,500. No way these two coins should get the same registry points.

Guest Joiseygirl

I apologize for the confusion. I was responding to the request to add the 1942-P proof 5C to this set.

We will be reevaluating the Jefferson Nickels set in its entirety in the near future.

Thank you,

Amy T. Lorenzo

'Joiseygirl'

I apologize for the confusion. I was responding to the request to add the 1942-P proof 5C to this set.

We will be reevaluating the Jefferson Nickels set in its entirety in the near future.

Thank you,

Amy T. Lorenzo

'Joiseygirl'

Amy,

Do you have any idea when the Jefferson Nickel series will be re-evaluated? Just wondering, it has been 2 months since this post and I haven't heard anything.

Paul

Guest Joiseygirl

Lehigh96,

We are currently working on the Lincoln Cents. Jefferson Nickels will most likely be the next re-evaluation.

Thank you,

Amy T. Lorenzo

'Joiseygirl'

When you finish with the moderns, can I request that Bust Halves be a high priority? Its one of the most popular sets, and incredibly askew with regards to the new point system.

Lehigh96,

We are currently working on the Lincoln Cents. Jefferson Nickels will most likely be the next re-evaluation.

Thank you,

Amy T. Lorenzo

'Joiseygirl'

So 14 months have passed since this post. Can we get an update?