• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lacquered 1909-svdb cent

2 posts in this topic

I have a lacquered 1909-svdb unc cent that I acquired in 1955 that way. Can you remove the lacquer safely? In addition, there are some tiny spots scattered on it, very common on unc cents. Once the lacquer is removed, is the copper surface left in a very reactive state, or is the surface passivated so that further toning is abated? I ask because I remember reading somewhere that if lacquer is removed, the copper surface is more susceptible to corrosion than it would have been had no lacquer ever been applied.

We have been able to remove the lacquer from the surface of copper coins in the past. It is true that the surface can change once the lacquer is removed. We do have methods to help stabilize this, though some change can still occur. I am not sure if I have enough information on the spots you see to comment on them.

Chris, NCS