• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little clarification on bidding.

1 post in this topic

I've read several posts here and ATS regarding bidding/buying an AU coin for VF/XF prices(grades just as an example). I have even been told by sellers on Ebay that don't complain you got the coin for a low price 2 grades down. Not even considering the overgrading process that occurs by some sellers. What truly bugs me is that buyers many times(I do this all the time) may bid(maximum bid) AU price for an advertized AU coin, but then the coin, for whatever reason sells for XF pricing. Not the buyers fault!

While it is perfectly OK for a buyer to bid whatever they want, it sticks in my craw when someone says the buyer was loballing a bid without even knowing what they placed as their highest bid.

Bidding is quite subjective, but when a seller places a coin for sale with a low starting price and No Reserve then they are gambling that the market is in to this coin well enough that supply/demand will bring the proper bid price. These days not so, if ever true.

Sellers do not have the opportunity to see what the maximum bid that was placed for their item after the sale, as they are only provided with the hammer bid. I guess there is not a possibility for this to occur without breaking someones' bones or rights?

Not necessarily a rant, just a blog, but I thank you for listening.

Jim