• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1941 Mercury Dime in a Fatty

15 posts in this topic

So, guess what NGC graded it, and then guess what it might grade if resubmitted (which, of course, I have no plans on doing). I just got this one in the mail from Jon, aka PCcoins (so don't cheat and look what its graded, its been posted here before ;) ). I ordered it several weeks ago, and the mail lady left it at the front office of my apartment complex, but forgot to leave a notice in my mail box. So it was just sitting there for a week and a half :o

As Jon can attest, it looks every bit as nice as it does in these pictures, and actually its quite a bit nicer. Bright, shining luster drips from both sides, and the toning on the reverse goes all the way around the edges. My poor attempts at photography do not do this coin justice.

Incidentally, this is my first fatty, and is an NGC5 in Conder's number system.

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

Thanks guys. NGC graded this back in the day at MS67. Does anybody know if they designated FB at that time? I know they didn't do FBL, so I'm thinking they probably didn't do FB. Anyways, I think if it got resubmitted, it should get 67 * FB, in hand the bands are definitely fully split all the way across.

That's a great looking design and a beautiful example Jason. The toning, especially on the reverse is exceptional. It is a no brainer for a star. I don't think NGC had that designation at that time. (worship)

I hate to be the poop at the party, but I think it is just shy of full split bands, at least in the photo. As you said, in hand it might look different. Otherwise, a gorgeous coin. LOVE that toning!

I figured I would check out my "FB" dime, MS 66 NGC also in a fatty. Here's an obverse and reverse picture. The label says MS 66 FB so at some point with the fatties, they did designate full bands. I don't know what number "fatty" this is, however.

dimeslab-1.jpg

dime-1.jpg

I really love the coin and would be excited to add it to my MS67 set...however I would be stunned if it FSB'd...ticks and nicks on the center bands also discount the designation........

Thanks Al, that answers my question. My bands aren't that strong, but they still look strong enough to me, but I'm not a Merc collector, so I don't really know. I like the coin either way :)