• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help with 1788 Massachusetts copper Cent

14 posts in this topic

Hi all .. can anyone help with this 1788 Massachusetts copper Cent

IE: Grade / Die variety and an approximate value please.

481c_3.jpg

4601_3.jpg

thanks you lot (thumbs u

I don't have the attribution guide for Mass. copper, but would grade it VG. Of course, in a slab, it'll be given some ultra-precise numeric like "VG-10" or some such, but there are no grading standards for these, just common sense.

They tend to come fairly nice, and yours has about average planchet and surface quality.

I don't have the attribution guide for Mass. copper, but would grade it VG. Of course, in a slab, it'll be given some ultra-precise numeric like "VG-10" or some such, but there are no grading standards for these, just common sense.

They tend to come fairly nice, and yours has about average planchet and surface quality.

cheers (thumbs u so looking like a $450 coin ?

so looking like a $450 coin ?

Whoa! $450? Not unless it is a rare variety. For example, I seem to recall that those "with period" sell for a significant premium.

I would think it's a $150 - $200 coin retail.

I'm guess I'm in the minority on this piece. I don't care for it.

The Massachusetts cents were among the best made of the Confederation period state coinage. They were generally well struck, and I really don't think that a nice example of this coin should be as weak as this on is on the right side. I'd only give it a G-VG at best with some points off for less than smooth surfaces.

As a side light, Massachusetts closed its state mint after officials determined that it cost more to run the facility than the face value of the coins it was producing.

The $450 price was the red book price i have

Good $80

Fine $220

V.Fine $450

E.fine $1000

A.unc $2000

UNC $3800

I like your prices more than mine :applause:

I don't know what happened concerning the Mass. cent that started this thread, but here's a coin to put things in context. This coin is in an EF-45 holder. :o It only grades VF-25 IMO. At any rate I think this piece shows that Mass. cents are more like well made early U.S. coins and less like primitively made early coins like the Connecticut and Vermont cents.

MassCentO.jpgMassCentR.jpg