• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you have never been to a coin show and wanted to attend one this year?

17 posts in this topic

Which coin show would you want to attend if you have never been to a coin show before? I have never been to one before and am thinking of attending one. I think I have enough miles and hotel points to fly and stay for free.

Any advice for a new coin show attendee?

I would unquestionably stay away from a national show so as to avoid being overwhelmed. What area do you live in? In St. Louis, for example, we have six or so sizeable coin shows within easy driving distance. If I include Chicago (5 hour drive), I could probably hit a coin show every single weekend! So that makes a big difference.

Is there a complete list of coin shows state by state anywhere online?

Jim

Coin Shows Dot Com

As for what show to attend I would agree with James (I seem to do that a lot. Must be the name, ;) ) Trying to go to a show like the upcoming Baltimore show or the ANA Money show would, IMO, simply result in total sensory overload to anyone who had never been to even a local show. Try one of the more regional shows such as your state convention or--if you want to use those airline miles--try the TNA show next May in Fort Worth, TX.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I believe I will go to a major show this year for the first time. I've been to many state and local shows in the past but never a major one. Been to ComicCon in San Diego(my son has a couple of comics out) and to Las Vegas Coal Association show and Heavy Equipment Show and Mid America Truck Show(42 acres). I truly look forward to it.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I believe I will go to a major show this year for the first time. I've been to many state and local shows in the past but never a major one. Been to ComicCon in San Diego(my son has a couple of comics out) and to Las Vegas Coal Association show and Heavy Equipment Show and Mid America Truck Show(42 acres). I truly look forward to it.

Jim

Which comics??

It depends what your purpose is. My only reason for going to a show is to find things I want to buy and most shows would be a waste of my time. The ones I would want to attend are either:

NYC International in January;

Chicago International Coin Fair in April

ANA World's Fair of Money in July/August

Of the three, I've only attended the ANA though there may also be one or two outside the US I do not know about. Since most collectors on this board collect US coins, there would be a larger number to choose from.

I echo the advice of others - go to a smaller regional show first. Perhaps even a local show - if you have a club in the area they might have an annual show. Trying to go to a big national show as your first experience will leave you lost, confused, and overwhelmed, you'll have a hard time finding what you want, and you'll waste more time getting the hang of the show atmosphere than anything else. Go to a smaller show that's close to where you live so you aren't spending so much money on travel for a learning experience, and then go to the national show once you know what's going on. The only national show I've been to was FUN in Orlando, and I have to say its amazing! An added bonus is the NGC luncheon, but its not until next January.

Patrick,

He has Abiding Perdition and Outlaw Scorn-both are being animated for this fall to early 2010 release. He is currently working for a Sony project and just finished several Spike TV episodes for I phone.His name is Nick Schley

Thanks for the interest--Jim

Comics.jpg

Dwaine:

Go to show you think you will learn something that you were not aware of. For example the larger shows have educational seminars, or club meetings such as the Fly-In Club that you would like to meet collectors from all over the country.

If you buy things from Heritage Auctions you may be able to use their facilities with internet computer access. The best of all is to attend the auction where you can get a great buffet dinner around 6 pm at no cost. I would however, bid on a few items they have up for sale.

Finally you have access to ANA, NGS, PCGS, ANACS, ICG services to let them know how you feel about your particular experience you have had with their wonderful service.

Also you may have the opportunity to meet top numismatist or coin cleb's.

At the really big shows exhibits are there for you to drool over.

What shows? The biggest you can afford to attend. Orlando, Baltimore, Portland, Long Beach. Need I say more? Some may be over but there is next year. Yes?

Enjoy! :takeit:

There is small to mid-size show coming up in late April in Sarasota,where I live. Been here a few years and I've never gone. I'm planning on going this year.Since they are based in Sarasota NGC will be there for sure. I don't know who else yet. Anyone ever been to this show?

Dwaine,

There is a coin show in Roanoke, VA(actually Salem right out of Roanoke) this weekend. I've never been but I am told that it has 30 to 50 dealers. I may go this weekend as it is about 2 hours from me--not a bad drive at all.

Jim

Salem, VA Winter Coin Show

Don't forget, coin shows don't have to be all about coins. They could also be about golf, nice hotels and eating well. The coin show may be right, but the city might also have attractions for you to see.

Something to consider.