• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joys of collecting

5 posts in this topic

Does anybody have any thoughts about Q. David Bowers last "Joys of Collecting" in the Aug. 5th coinworld? He almost hit the nail on the head. I have read the A.N.A. post and personally wouldn't give them a dime. I will admit their library is unequaled. His last paragragh in the article, " For an intelligent American citizen in search of pleasure, numismatics can be a place to spend the rest of ones life". I simply could not have said it better.

I mostly agree with Bowers' comments on those who remain in the hobby - it's those who study it and make it a diverse experience through knowledge as well as collecting.

Hoot

Numismatics can be an open door leading to a lifetime of interesting and fascinating study in the areas of history, art, the sciences, economics and more. It is so much more than the minutia of what differentiates an MS-68 from a 69.

I think that every new collector should read his book, "The Joys of Collecting". Before they go forth and spend a lot of money on coins!