• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1949-D Washington

11 posts in this topic

The coin appears to have Mint State sharpness, but it also appears to be quite dull from the photographs. For that reason I suspect that it has been cleaned or perhaps dipped too many times. I think that it would only be worth EF or AU money for that reason and would not be an easy sale because most collectors prefer their higher grade coins with luster.

I'd say MS-61 or 62 solely due to the dullness of detail. The coin is obviously uncirculated, and I can note the lustre but the soft details are holding it back from a 63 or 64 in my mind.

I'm leaning to agree with physics on the D. But as an error coin freak, strike doubling wouldn't decrease the value, especially that minor. I would really need to see multiple angle shots to tell if it isn't just strike doubling though, and I doubt that a D/D is going to command a large premium (might, you never know, check cherrypickers which I don't have handy).

It appears to be MS63 at best. I would guess that it has seen soem circulation and might have a faint rub. The mint mark is amchine doubled, clearly showing a flattened shelf affect. Thisis very common on D Washington quarters and will not add value.