• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

71 Eisenhower proof, adventures with ...

3 posts in this topic

(have I really ruined a coin possibly worth $13K???????????)..

had said coin put aside for years; noticed a "haze" over most of the mirror surface; it's been a couple of yrs since I had looked at it- back then, there was no haze .....

figured since it was basically a $10-coin (if as few as 5% of proofs made stayed in pristine condition, there were still hundreds of thousands: couldn't appreciate all that much- right?)

Imagine my surprise that the best of these, at Pr70, could be worth $13k .... and some lower Pr's: several hundreds !!! doubly shocked, since I cleaned off a metallic oxide with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol, before the fact, and left some microscopic scratches behind ......

If serious quantities of these proofs (assumed flawless on day 1) were simply left alone, there would be an awful lot of Pr70s floating around, no??

regardless; there seems to be some residual tarnish, or oxidation, on portions of the mirror surface.... so crying in my beer would be pointless .....

Imagine my surprise that the best of these, at Pr70, could be worth $13k .... and some lower Pr's: several hundreds !!!

First even if the coin is PF69DC it wouldn't be worth hundreds...more like about $35

If it is PF70DC then it might bring a few thousand dollars but not 13K.

1971-S IKE's are easy to get and the 1971 proof set only sells for about $8.