• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patterns

12 posts in this topic

my fav patterns are the silver dollars dated in the mid-1860's using regular dies on off-metal planchets.

wallace lee had a bunch of them, but i forgot to bid on them. i think they sold for kinda cheap in jan, 1999.

frown.gif

evp

My favorite pattern is the J-1776 but I also like the amazonian patterns, the J-1526 helmet head pattern half dollar and of course the J-1512 that I use for my icon. wink.gif

No question about it,,,,the most awesome patterns are the Amazonian Set in gold and that coin with the $10.00 Indian obv. and $20.00 Saint rev. from the Garrett Sale.

Hey, wait a minute....aren't the flowing and coiled hair Stellas technically patterns too?? Ok, add them to the list.

Dragon

And as far as error coins go, the most awesome error I've ever seen was an Indian Cent struck on a gold planchet ($2.50 Indian perhaps), now that coin rocked!!

Dragon

1856 Flying Eagle Cent. I love a lot of them but this is my favorite, as I am primarily a cent collector. The time when it was minted and the Gobrecht eagle are so historic. Pete, the model for the cent, caught one of his wings in the machinery and died. He was, unfortunately for him allowed to fly around the Philadelpia mint unemcumbered. He still resides there on dispaly, but is not quite so active as he once was.

J-1776 has always been a favorite of mine - I see where Parinno offered $5,000,000 for it and was turned down!

But, I think I have to agree with Boiler78 that the Schoolgirl pattern dollar is probably my favorite from the one's that I've actually held in my hand.

Of course, if a PF65 Red 1884 trade dollar die trial piece ever showed up, I'd keel over in complete, unadulterated lust! wink.gif

TDN- My icon is actually a 1877 pattern half dollar. the reverse design was used later in 1879 on the Schoolgirl dollar.

Klectorkid- I have attached a morgan dime for you. wink.gif

589a8aa6b381c_64118-MorganDime.jpg.0b07a5e9098700e5d096b776b03bf9f4.jpg

Occassionally I'll see a "pocket piece" pattern that looks cool. Pleasant, warm VF30 surfaces.

I just wish each and every one of them wasn't so expensive!

My favorite is the 1792 half disme although I think it is really a regular issue. The mintage was estimated to be 1,500 pieces and among the 300 or so that have survived, all but 20 are circulated, mostly heavily circulated. Those factors, together with Washington's report to Congress that called the coin, "a small beginning" for US coinage all point to reagular issue status for the coin.