• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HEY GUYS, AND GALS IS THIS SILVER EAGLE STRUCK THROUGH PLASTIC?

12 posts in this topic

Mark,

Glad you give a hoot. It is shaped like a stocking, sort of. Good eye. What do you think it would grade. A MS coin or a Bu coin?

KINGKOIN KING OF KOIND

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Definitely MS - Mint Stocking 67, I'd say. Hoot

sign-funnypost.gif

Errorist,

It certainly looks like a plastic strike-thru to me. It seems that the price was right. I've seen similar coins on the Coin Vault certified by NGC in the $200 price range. Assuming that they double the prices of everything, then it is probably a $100 error if slabbed.

Just a general observation: After watching the Coin Vault regularly for entertainment, I conclude that most coins are priced c. 33% over retail. Occasionally, a coin may sell for market value. Some are ridiculously overpriced by multiples of two and three. I recently saw a 1995 doubled die Lincoln cent certified ms 67 by NGC selling for $100. Anyone know the market rate for this one? The price sounds fair on this one. It sold out on the show in no time.

p.s. Your moniker is typo'd. ... KINGKOIN KING OF KOIND

If it is then why does it happen? Could they wrap the dies in plastic to store away for a short time, and then forget to take it all off before using it?

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

If it is then why does it happen? Could they wrap the dies in plastic to store away for a short time, and then forget to take it all off before using it?

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Sounds plausible to me.

Nope. You're all wrong.

Look at the shape of the missing piece.

This was a crude early attempt at a New York State Half Dollar.

It was not adopted until 1999 when inflation forced it to be used on a quarter.

grin.gif

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Sounds plausible to me.

They do use a plastic cap to store the dies and it looks like this:

5C-1985PROOF-DIECOVER.jpg

I don't think that it was that but certainly does resemble a piece of plastic. Maybe a flaked off lamination peel from another coin.... neat error none the less.

My assumption could be correct then. It is neat coming here to the forums, and learn about coins of all types. Sure can't learn this in school.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

I recently saw a 1995 doubled die Lincoln cent certified ms 67 by NGC selling for $100
I paid $35 for my NGC 66... a 67 I think goes around $60

Thanks for the info, Jeremy.