• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC submissions that are BB material??

24 posts in this topic

So I got my 5 free submissions to NGC a few days ago and have about 5 raw coins left in my U.S. type set. If I use the "early bird" option as offered on the certificate and some are problem coins, does NGC slab them now and indicate the problem or are they still returned in BB flips?

Thanks.

RI AL

I'm looking forward to the day that NGC decides that if the coin would get a BB, they'll give you the option to send it on to NCS. Clearly this isn't practical for many things (anything modern) but for older, classic, material I think PCGS has the right idea on this one.

I'm looking forward to the day that NGC decides that if the coin would get a BB, they'll give you the option to send it on to NCS. Clearly this isn't practical for many things (anything modern) but for older, classic, material I think PCGS has the right idea on this one.

They do on some coins.

I sent a coin that was going to BB for PVC damage and then called me and I had them send it to NCS and then NCS fixed the coin and NGC slabbed it!!

When did PCGS start doing the "Genuine" designation? Did they start this due to collectors getting ticked off at the number of body bags they were getting?

I guess about 6 months ago. I didn't realize they were going to do it for any coin though.I was under the impression it was going to be $100.00 charge to discourage cheap junk form getting a label.

If the coin is genuine, I think that the services should automatically put the piece in a "genuine" (PCGS) or NCS (NGC) holder.

A body bag for a genuine coin is a rip-off. You get absolutely nothing for your money. It's one of the reasons why I don't submit coins for grading any more. I've gotten some body bags that I deserved, but I've had some others that were just stink-o rip offs. That causes a lot of ill will toward the TPG, and at least in my case has cost them further business.

If the coin is genuine, I that that the services should automatically put the piece in a "genuine" (PCGS) or NCS (NGC) holder.

A body bag for a genuine coin is a rip-off. You get absolutely nothing for your money.

My thoughts exactly, BillJones..

I guess about 6 months ago. I didn't realize they were going to do it for any coin though.I was under the impression it was going to be $100.00 charge to discourage cheap junk form getting a label

The Genuine slabs for $100 did start about 6 months ago, but about two months ago they change and announced that all bodybag candidates except those that are counterfeit or with active PVC contamination would be placed in Genuine slabs and the $100 fee program was being discontinued.

When did PCGS start doing the "Genuine" designation? Did they start this due to collectors getting ticked off at the number of body bags they were getting?

I guess about 6 months ago. I didn't realize they were going to do it for any coin though.I was under the impression it was going to be $100.00 charge to discourage cheap junk form getting a label.

I believe the Genuine designation has always been available upon special request. The new policy is simply to stop issuing body bags on problem coins, and to automatically place them in Genuine holders, instead.

Send them to NCS . Check off box for " if gradeable/problem free send on to NGC " . Include the free certificate along with the Submission. The price value will be pro-rated accordingly . You'll get your coins back in NCS or NGC or both holders . No Body Bag , unless any are counterfeit .

But will you have to pay both NCS AND NGC submission fees? What I would love is, send the coin to NGC, if there is a problem that cannot be fixed, send it to NCS to slab. I have a bunch of coins I want to submit, but I am waiting it out, or considering sending to PCGS. But some of the coins are toners, and I know PCGS has been very strict on them lately.

Hello AnkurJ ,

Yes , there is a slight upcharge sending to NCS first , but it is negligable , and you coins get pushed ahead of the line and you get them all back faster than regular subs ( most of the time , unless you have one that needs extensive conservation work) . So for a small amount more you get a quicker turn around . At least . When I send through using this route , I have had less problems with wrong labels and slow return shipping and I only do this when I know I have a few that would be worth keeping and need the conservation work...but the OP said he wanted coins back in a slab even if they had problems , and though it may cost a little more , this is the only way to do this using NGC ( NCS) right now .

NCS charges an examination fee , and the grading fee is only charged once , either through NGC or NCS . As far as No-grade or problem coin holders go , the NCS holder is really cool with the darker/clear insert . A lot of my early commems are in NCS holders due to cleaning from way back when peeps thought it was ok to do this , or preferred shiny stuff over natural .

I am wondering if NGC has changed their policy on BB material getting flips. In Sunday, March 1 Teletrade Auction under foreign auctions, there are several ANCIENT coins that are graded Genuine in NGC holders. I wonder if this applies only to ancients, or if NGC has done away with the BB all together and is using the GENUINE description like PCGS for all problem coins. If so, my few remaining type set coins (cleaned or whatever) might wind up at NGC instead of PCGS.

Still have 5 free submissions.

RI AL

No the Ancients with the Genuine label was something they started up last year. I first saw them at the Indiana State Show in November. Then in January this year they began putting a grade on them as well. There is an announcement at the top of the World and ancient forum where they announced the grading policy and that they now had the double thickness holders for them if needed.

Thank you, guys. COIN, I'd like to take your suggestion to send the coins to NCS and do the "if gradable" thing. The problem is I don't think the 5 freebies apply to NCS, only "earlybirds" or foreign.

RI AL

RI AL [still have 5 free submissions]

Free? What's free about it? You have already paid for it one way or another.

Here is another 'radical' option.

Put the coin in a hard plastic flip and take it to a coin show or dealership

Find a reliable and trustworthy numismatist that will grade your coin for about $5 per coin.

What ever information he/she gives on the condition and grade you record and keep with the coin.

If you disagree with the condition or grade then take it to an other qualified numismatist and get his/her opinion.

Now you have a 'second' opinion and that's a consensus. Total cost is $25/5 coins. No handling, postage, and insurance either to submit or have the coin returned saving you another $5-15. Five coins $25. No waiting, no disappointment, and no BS.

Now you know the condition and the grade and you have contributed to the solution of the "No Grade" problem. It's like solving two problems with one submission!

This is how it was before TPGS's came into being. If it was good enough then it should be good enough now.

Radical enough? (thumbs u

PS. Now, I would suggest, if you need a trustworthy and reliable grading service contact me at itsnowtoo@aol.com and I can provide you with an email address for grading price's. However, shipping, handling, & insurance will be required.

Thank you, guys. COIN, I'd like to take your suggestion to send the coins to NCS and do the "if gradable" thing. The problem is I don't think the 5 freebies apply to NCS, only "earlybirds" or foreign.

RI AL

Pretty sure you can use them for NCS->NGC. Just e-mail either one and ask them how to do it. Customer service is pretty good at NGC.

You can use the certificates for free early Bird with any NGC NCS combination...they will pro-rate it and apply it automatically to however it comes out to or in your best favor . They have done this for me before . You can even choose to have NCS holder the coin(s) with a No-Grade holder with just the word 'genuine' if that is all you want. But for the money , and the freebies , I say get what you can out of it.

What is the ABSOLUTE worst outcome scenario that you are locked down in fear over? I mean it is just a coin submission , by golly , your life is not in danger and you not turn into a big over-ripe turnip ....we will not poke fun at you if you do not post your results , but , really ....you seem reluctant . If you are worried about rejection or something , PM me and send me the coins in question , and I'll send them in and burn up my freebie early bird cert. That way you will know which ones you correctly guessed about and it won't cost you anymore than the NCS fees if any . Lemme know if this is what it takes to push you over the threshold to submit these coins.

Think of me as Darth Vader and I'm pushing you towards the 'dark' side of the TPG force....or as a Borg 'You will be assimilated' 'resistance is futile'...and all that .....?

As far as I know, NGC has not biten anyone and NCS has not murdered any submitters , but I do know of quite a FEW people that have been really dissappointed with the NCS results after conservation ....and know of SEVERAL others who have been most impressed with their results . It all boils down to personal preferences . If you enjoy these coins RAW , then leave them that way .

I know it is hard to part with something that you think is one way and then get it back with someone else's opinion of what they think it is and both opinions be opposite ends of the universe , but remember it is only their opinion (although a consensus was formed in that opinion by more than one person and no matter how great a board member thinks their grading skills are , unless they do this day-in-and-day-out , theirs is only a hobbyist opinion also....) and not a 'label' on the submitter .NGC/NCS does not grade submitters...you will not be thought of any less for sending these in. And on top of that ....you do not have to submit them.

Make a choice and lets see what happens.

By the way , the purists are evil. lol , jes kid'n...hopefully they won't burn my home down now.

:blahblah: :blahblah:As dumb as this may sound, my goal is to have my whole collection in one of the top 4 slabbers. What I might do is, those that come back genuine from PCGS, and several will I'm SURE of that , I might try to see if there is any interest on Teletrade. Many of these coins I bought as a naive teeny bopper kid and I expect some disappointment when I get the results from the first batch of 7. I have never sold anything on Teletrade, bought a few things though. The second batch I sent will probably be mostly "genuines" too. Ah...if only I knew then what you guys have taught me now. Hey, if I make a few bucks on Teletrade...that's all good.

I know my 5 "free" submissions are not free and that if I screw up I won't "get turned into a turnip". I just want the consistency of an all slabbed collection. Little by little, the "genuine" ones will hopefully find new homes and be replaced by non-problem pieces. I think this will be a lofty goal...and expensive. But now that I have another source of income (after 2 years of retirement, the doctors have said that I can go back and teach school without too much risk to my immune system/kidney) and today is day 3 as a substitute teacher. Pay stinks, but if I get a lot of calls, the $ might just go into the coin fund....or the stock market ...or my tax bill. Stick THAT up your "Stimulus plan".

Many changes in RI AL's life and I just want to bring my collection up to the best "standard" I can. I know, for all you 7070 people out there (in my next lifetime) and slab haters, this probably sounds dumb BUT...I still need to be ready for ease of liquidation in the event that the kidney goes south.

I am on my "free period" now at school and will rush home at 2:15 to see if the 1795 SEGS dollar has made it back to RI. If so, it will be packed up and put in the mail this afternoon to Mr. Briggs. Cover letter, photos, documentation already prepared...pop it in a mailer, insure the sucker and away it goes.

I really appreciate all of your thoughts, guys. I am torn between using the "free slabs" for some decent foreign stuff I have or the probably "genuine" coins (or is it BB'd...still confused about what NGC is doing these days) . NO, it's not the end of the world...and ultimately, it probably won't matter a whit which option I pick. We'll see.

Warning...NEVER give a school teacher on an 85 minute prep period a place to prattle on...because he will. :makepoint: RI AL

:blahblah: :blahblah:As dumb as this may sound, my goal is to have my whole collection in one of the top 4 slabbers.

Nope , not dum b at all . It is a plan.

I know my 5 "free" submissions are not free and that if I screw up I won't "get turned into a turnip".

:insane: dar n , thought I could get you with that one....

I just want the consistency of an all slabbed collection. Little by little, the "genuine" ones will hopefully find new homes and be replaced by non-problem pieces.

I like consistency and inconsistency is nice when it is done consistently too :grin:

I think this will be a lofty goal...and expensive. But now that I have another source of income (after 2 years of retirement, the doctors have said that I can go back and teach school without too much risk to my immune system/kidney) and today is day 3 as a substitute teacher. Pay stinks, but if I get a lot of calls, the $ might just go into the coin fund....or the stock market ...or my tax bill. Stick THAT up your "Stimulus plan".

Or...into the new student-proof armored bullet resistant vest....ah, kids today ....

NO, it's not the end of the world...and ultimately, it probably won't matter a whit which option I pick. We'll see.

And hopefully we will get to see too....pics pics post the pics :gossip: