• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lower Grade "No Problems" vs Higher Grade with minor detractions...

5 posts in this topic

Many of us are on tight budgets these days. With this in mind, do you gravitate towards lower grade material to satisfy the hole in your album, or do you lower your standards for "problems"... minor corrosion, rim hits, scratches...whatever.

OR... Do you lower the pace at wich holes are filled in your collection... I'm tending towards this. I've had my fair share of "problems" and subpar coins in the past and can't wait to rid myself of them. As a result, I pay the price in a numismatic lesson learned. In these tough times, I can't afford to keep making the same mistakes and learning the same lessons.

Lastly, just an observation... lower grade and problem material has seemingly tanked in the market. There's either just too much of it, no one wants it, or both... Leo

I never intentionally purchase problem coins although I’ve made mistakes and bought some. I’d much rather go lower grade problem free. I’ve cut back on my purchases but, with that said, I may have to start buying again as more and more choice pieces begin to come on the market…

I posted regarding this exact subject about a week ago in a thread that discussed a PR-10 Gobrecht dollar. Indeed, I am perfectly willing on certain coins to accept detriments in return for an acceptable price tradeoff.

I lower the pace at which I fill holes and/or fill with lower no problems coins.

As for certain things tanking in this market - agreed. It's not a function of price, the collectors that are hanging in just don't want the same old carp or the cleaning and problems.

Too many folks have pulled in their reigns and there *is* too much material out there. The metals markets of the past year have brought tonnage of common stuff out, and none of it is on want lists.

Also, I'm noticing that this economic downturn is starting to unearth a lot of coins that were untouchable in 05-06. Real coins are coming out, and they can be purchased at reasonable levels compared to the levels of a few years ago.