• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln MS 66 coin prices

8 posts in this topic

this might tell you something

break these ms 66 lincolns out of their respective holders and you will lose not only lots of demand but lots of money

This wouldn't apply to the pre-1916 Lincolns would it? ;)

The pre-1916 Lincoln prices are similar.

But look at these. All MS 66 RED

1946 PCGS=$525 NCC=$83

1947 PCGS=$350 NCG=$68

1948 PCGS=$525 NGC=$66

The NGC prices listed are Numismedia prices, but they are also close to the prices realized in recent auctions as well. There must be a significant difference in the way these Lincolns are graded? Any thoughts?

Similar but not as extreme in MS-65 Ikes. I bought an MS-65 1972 Ty1 Ike in NGC plastic for around $100 when the going rate for the same coin in PCGS is $325.

People generally think PCGS is a stricter grader than NGC, so they figure if a coin is in an NGC holder that it may grade a point or two less if submitted to PCGS. Hence the lower going price.

I have been buying and selling these babies for a few years on eBay now, and have noticed a very similar trend. One thing I've found is many of the high grade Lincolns graded by PCGS seem to have more luster and eye appeal, even though upon close examination in hand, they are equally as marked as a comparable NGC piece. Personally I see no reason for the price difference unless coins are obviously over/under graded. If you look at high grade, early Lincolns in the old PCGS holders (OGH and the first-gen's) they generally are much sharper than other coins for the grade, and oftentimes have large premiums. Remember to always buy the coin and not the grade.

Basically , this topic gets kicked around from time to time , but the most common answer to the original question most likely is :

- PCGS registry sets only allow PCGS graded material and NGC will allow both NGC and PCGS coins .

-Registry competition can get expensive when boys(&girls) with deep pockets compete with one another for ultimate bragging rights within whatever chosen field ( here , registry competition) .

-Because top grades are tough , and PCGS only allows their holders into their registry sets , and so , the field is tougher for entries....higher prices for those that want to compete financially .

In a nut-shell .