• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1963 toned proof set, large images... any thoughts?

12 posts in this topic

Here is a 1963 proof set I just received from an ebayer... I have not much experience but this is the first really toned set I have purchased.

There seems to be some very cool coins and not really being a "toner", I really do find these very cool and appealing. The different colors are quite amazing... especially on the Jefferson and Lincoln... toning different colors in different spots.

The green stuff on the Jefferson is on the inside of the cello and is not adhered to the coin... what causes this toning inside the mint cello?

Any thoughts on the coins would be appreciated!!!

1963-proofset-rev1a.jpg

1963-proofset-obv1a.jpg

1963-jefferson-obv1a.jpg

1963-jefferson-obv2.jpg

1963-jefferson-rev1a.jpg

1963-jefferson-rev2.jpg

1963-lincoln-obv1a.jpg

1963-lincoln-rev1a.jpg

1963-roosevelt-rev1a.jpg

1963-washington-obv1a.jpg

1963-washington-rev1a.jpg

1963-franklin-obv1a.jpg

1963-franklin-rev1a.jpg

1963-franklin-rev11.jpg

I'd like to ask a few of questions?

1.) Did this set come in the Original Government Packaging envelope?

(also known as OGP)

a. did it look like it had ever been damp/wet/mildewed, damaged, etc?

2.) Was the information sheet in there also?

3.) Was there a cardbaord sleeve in the envelope as well?

4.) Was anything else in there that should not have been there?

a. notes, tissue, gel packet, etc?

Sure...

I bought it opened... with the cello intact. I bought it from someone claiming to be selling coins from his Grandfather...

It came with the standard envelope, with the standard card and the inspection sheet... It looks like an old envelope and seems to be the real deal. There was nothing additional in the envelope. And the cello seems to be perfectly intact without even a pinhole.

There is not hint of wetness, no hint by the env or the cello that it has ever been wet... no musty smell either.

I really like the way only the bell is toned and fields remain nice and clear.

Regarding the nickel, it appears you have active corrosion taking place. Its too bad as the blue/purple color is very attractive.

I've seen plenty of old brown package proof sets that look like that. They are usually in packs that have contaminants in them or they are from packs that weren't sealed correctly and the coins came in contact with each other.

Unfortunately for you, it looks like yours came from contaminants in the original cello.

The only coin that is really suffering from the contaminant is the nickel. Looks like a severely carbon spotted penny of all things.... and I'm sure you can tell it's the most wildly toned of the coins in there. Which kinda makes it worthless. The other coins are nice, but not wildly toned enough to bring any extra cash.

I've seen plenty of old brown package proof sets that look like that. They are usually in packs that have contaminants in them or they are from packs that weren't sealed correctly and the coins came in contact with each other.

Unfortunately for you, it looks like yours came from contaminants in the original cello.

The only coin that is really suffering from the contaminant is the nickel. Looks like a severely carbon spotted penny of all things.... and I'm sure you can tell it's the most wildly toned of the coins in there. Which kinda makes it worthless. The other coins are nice, but not wildly toned enough to bring any extra cash.

I agree with others here. BTW welcome to the forum and very nice photos. :hi:

Thank you for all of the comments and compliments... I recently rediscovered coin collecting after a 30 years... I have been a pro photographer in my past as well and still have lighting etc... For these photos I used a Sony DSLR, a Sigma 70MM Macro (amazingly sharp) and studio lights. Digital photography sure makes coin photography easy compared to what it would have been like with slide film! I really find that imaging coins is very interesting and rewarding.

I had someone on another board suggest an acetone bath for the Jefferson... He is bathing now and turned blast white again... He looks like a deep cameo obverse with no cam on the reverse. Nothing special... it does seem that the "green spots" are going away.

The cent does look like a deep cam on both the obv and rev and wonder what to do with Mr Lincoln. The photos really don't show the amount of contrast as I was shooting for the colors / toning...

I will post some additional photos of the cent and the Washington below... Like Jefferson... a one-sided cameo

1963-lincoln-obv20.jpg

1963-lincoln-obv22.jpg

1963-lincoln-obv25.jpg

1963-lincoln-obv27.jpg

1963-lincoln-obv27b.jpg

1963-lincoln-rev21.jpg

1963-lincoln-rev22.jpg

1963-washington-obv21.jpg

1963-washington-obv22.jpg

1963-washington-rev21.jpg

1963-washington-rev23.jpg