• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The set display layout: Dealing with the empty space

11 posts in this topic

I look at the set display pages for sets that have a long set description and I'm always a little struck by the empty space. The description text is confined to a narrow column down the middle with lots of unutilized space to both sides. I realize that this is directed at making the page look ordered and neat, but could something be done for all of that open space?

In particular for the signature sets (which only display a view count off to the side), couldn't the view counter be moved to the bottom of the description block (between the description and the coin list) so that the description can be widened?

74384.jpg.f55dd4d0f3c500f1d18bfa1f57e52dcc.jpg

My bigger problem is that no matter the size of the screen, it always stays bunched up on the far left side. I have a huge monitor - it would be nice to fill it up. The coin details page is better, although the popup comes up very small and then I have to widen it to see the whole thing. Would be nice if the details page fit the size of the popup window and dynamically resized when I resize the window.

74455.jpg.7c1da24936defb9a8113aba3bd9555db.jpg

• Administrator

It's generally our practice not to let text extend continually as monitors often are wider than is comfortable to read.

This is true for the same reasons that an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper is designed that way.

It's generally our practice not to let text extend continually as monitors often are wider than is comfortable to read.

This is true for the same reasons that an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper is designed that way.

But the coin details page does extend all the way, once I click to expand it (the text extends past the window when I first open it.) I agree, it is a little difficult to read a 20 inch wide column of text. I'm just pointing out the differences. It would be nice if the main page were somewhere in between the three inches wide it currently is and the 20 inches wide that my monitor could display it as. The coin details page is the part which needs a bit more work in my opinion.

74458.jpg.fb1aabe8642b2387e4263b361eb6c47a.jpg

While we are on the subject, are there any plans to allow larger picture sizes any time soon? 120 kb is awfully limiting, especially when I have pictures from the likes of Bob Campbell. I'd love to display those a little larger than currently allowed.

• Administrator

I agree. The set description should be a bit wider, but not full screen. The coin details page has actually had a big target on it for a look re-work for a while. Soon.

• Administrator
While we are on the subject, are there any plans to allow larger picture sizes any time soon? 120 kb is awfully limiting, especially when I have pictures from the likes of Bob Campbell. I'd love to display those a little larger than currently allowed.

Some discussion of this, yes. We're not just upping it as we'd like to combine it with some tools to support the larger sizes.