• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your opinion of the 1844 dime?

5 posts in this topic

It's a hoard coin, of course, so there are actually many still in existence despite the low original mintage of 72,500. At any given time, Heritage seems to have a handful of "Little Orphan Annies" at auction. Yet at shows, it is a coin that is not in many dealer's cases. Even in "fair" grades, it's a $75 or so coin, and in decent UNC grades, it commands five digits.

I have read that in 1844, Philadelphia sent three dies to New Orleans, but they were never used. What happened to them?

What is your overall opinion of this somewhat historic issue?

Well there is at least one hoard of over 600 pieces and there are probably some other hoards out there as well. Plus there are probably many that are being held individually or in small groups. My guess it it probably survives, percentage wise, at the same rate as other issues from around that time. Possibly even slightly higher because it mahave been saved at a slightly greater rate due to the low mintage. But is seems to be a little scarcer because of all the coins tied up in the hoards. If the hoards were dumped on the market the coin would then for at least awhile seem to be more common than it should be. If they are trickled out though the constant demand will absorb them without a drop in value. (That is probably what is appening with the Heritage auctions. The big hoard did come on the market as a single lot a little while back but didn't sell. It is probably being parceled out now.)

As to the dies sent to New Orleans in 44, they were probably used for the 1845 O dimes.

All specimens in the Heritage auction are said to have come from the same hoard of low grade coins. Apparently there is one individual dealer who attempted to corner the market on these 1844 dimes. I have no particular interest in owning a specimen given thier high cost for low grade coins.

What is your opinion of the 1844 dime?

overrated

nothing special and definately not a stand alone sexy coin like a massachusettes pine tree shilling or a wreath cent

that is not really rare but sort of scarce but always available for a price the orphan annie

Purely a speculative issue - knowing there are sleeping coins out there, I don't expect prices to increase dramatically over the long term. Just the knowledge of such a population will keep prices in check.

I bought one a few years ago only because its tougher to find. It's a coin that I think does well at smaller shows, since non-traveled collectors will see it as super-rare.

It doesn't hit home for me, it's not real nice looking, and not any different than every other date of its type. It wouldn't upgrade my type set BU 1840, despite being "worth" more. I'll keep it for awhile - inevitably it will go when I use it to finance another coin purchase.

1844Dime-1.jpg

1844Dime-2.jpg