• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1927 2S Parliament House proof

21 posts in this topic

Coin has been at NCS and is now at NGC. It was apparently picked from a box of circulated florins

Guessing the final result should be tricky! good luck :)

Just checked the invoice, I chose IMAGING :) so we will know in a few days, maybe next week. NGC images will be posted here

obversefixediq7.jpgreversefixedqp5.jpg

It is a proof, not MS

Seller pictures, which I guessed would be pretty bad.. and they are. Coin looked white with some remaining toning but the mirrors were still coming through

Last hint, yes there are a lot of hits

Physics...pardon my ignorance, but what is AU 62 or 63? I am assuming the AU has some reference to Australia, but how do the 62 and 63 compare to "our" 70 scale? Thanks!

RI AL

Physics...pardon my ignorance, but what is AU 62 or 63? I am assuming the AU has some reference to Australia, but how do the 62 and 63 compare to "our" 70 scale? Thanks!

RI AL

I think he was saying MS-62 or MS-63.

RI AL

I think he was saying MS-62 or MS-63.

Nope, I was saying AU-62 or 63. This is not a real grade, but more a reference to the fact that sometimes, TPGs will give an uncirculated grade (i.e., 62 or 63) to a coin which technically has some wear or friction on the high points (and is thus AU). An AU-63 is often quite attractive, and sometimes more attractive than a true MS-63 coin. They will sell for more than an AU coin normally would, and sometimes more than a regular MS-63. These coins may not have actually circulated, but have cabinet friction on the highest points and have thus acquired wear. In the strictest interpretation of the standards, these should not be graded Uncirculated, but since the TPGs value coins, they don't grade them, they will assign a 63 to it. What is that I say? Yes - TPG's assign a value to the coin, and the numerical grade is a function of the market value. So, if a technical AU coin would sell in the market for a 62 or 63 price, the TPG will often assign a 62 grade to it. Shocking, but that's the way it goes. This is why some old timers don't like the TPG's and their market grading, and it often leads to gradeflation.

This subject is far more complex and controversial than my simplification here, and some of the guys who have been around a while can tell you more, but that's the basics of it. I said what I meant.

(Of course, I didn't realize this is a proof when I gave my grade, so....)

Well...chalk up another one to Physics! I definitely will need my brain transplant now to be able to keep up with all this stuff!! Thanks for the explanation, Physics. As usual from you, I always learn something new and interesting!

RI AL Brain AU 26.7 (almost useable)

Nope, I was saying AU-62 or 63. This is not a real grade, but more a reference to the fact that sometimes, TPGs will give an uncirculated grade (i.e., 62 or 63) to a coin which technically has some wear or friction on the high points (and is thus AU). An AU-63 is often quite attractive, and sometimes more attractive than a true MS-63 coin. They will sell for more than an AU coin normally would, and sometimes more than a regular MS-63. These coins may not have actually circulated, but have cabinet friction on the highest points and have thus acquired wear. In the strictest interpretation of the standards, these should not be graded Uncirculated, but since the TPGs value coins, they don't grade them, they will assign a 63 to it. What is that I say? Yes - TPG's assign a value to the coin, and the numerical grade is a function of the market value. So, if a technical AU coin would sell in the market for a 62 or 63 price, the TPG will often assign a 62 grade to it. Shocking, but that's the way it goes. This is why some old timers don't like the TPG's and their market grading, and it often leads to gradeflation.

This subject is far more complex and controversial than my simplification here, and some of the guys who have been around a while can tell you more, but that's the basics of it. I said what I meant.

(Of course, I didn't realize this is a proof when I gave my grade, so....)

confused-29.gif

What don't you understand, Schatzy? This is an important concept, but one that is controversial and complex. Ask lots of questions! If you want to get more of a discussion going, start a thread in the Tangents section - more people read there and can help explain it better.

Imaged and shipped, but no image in my inbox. hmm

PF58 ! this was my least desired grade, but my first thought on seeing it in hand. The reverse probably has a touch of rub on the right orb.

I have seen horrid wihte polished examples so mine is much better than theirs :)

Nice guessing coindude ! You've won a 2009 Aussie Proof set :D

I'll be honest, I owed you a few bucks for helping me out ;) you've won a cheaper item, that coin you said you liked ! also sending you a proof set as thanks for all your help

Physics boy you really know your stuff ! dunno how you missed proof in the topic title :D I'm in a good mood, PM me and I'll send you something too

Holy , just looked this one up in Krause! Holy cow! Nice find.

You've got that right. I believe this coin has a mintage of 200 or 300 in proof and it is the only prrof from the KGV series that does not have an extrmenly low mintage.. I do not have my Krause with me but all KGV Australia proofs are pricey.

400 mintage , but more like 200 or 300 at most exist now, some were circulated to death and have been polished and are, to be nice, hell ugly white monsters,

I'm really happy with it :D I can't make myself send it for Long Beach. I just can't, but I'm trying. I think I'll be keepin it for a while

PS 2,000,000 mintage for the circulation issue