• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twenty cent piece die marriages

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone on the board or does anyone on the board know of anyone that has written reference articles regarding die marriages of the Liberty Seated Twenty Cent Pieces.

Thanks

Jim

There is very little written on the 20 cent pieces and I don't know of any die variety work. The best I could recommend would be the 20 section in the the past four collective volumes of the Gobrecht Journal. (I wish they would get volume five out because volume six is due as well.)

A member of the PCGS boards is working on a book on the series – maybe you should post your question there?

The 20-cent series was so short that I think they could be called “die engagements” instead of “die marriages.”

A member of the PCGS boards is working on a book on the series – maybe you should post your question there?

I believe that Larry Briggs has also studied these dies extensively, so perhaps he has notes or a paper on them. Contact him through SEGS.

May not be helpful with the die marriage question, but my 20 center is the s/s (I GUESS Breen calls this the "$ variety") and the 75 from the date is in the dentrils. I never picked it up when I bought the coin...just liked the coin, ANACS notated it when I sent it into have it slabbed some years later. She's an AU 50. I tried to get a picture of the s/s...but you know how MY photography is...and I didn't even TRY to photograph the 75 in the dentrils.

This piece is an interesting "die engagement".

Ri AL