• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buffalo Nickel question---help please

10 posts in this topic

I've seen these streaks before, but do not know what causes them. Are they a natural occurence post mint, artificially incurred, or a minting or pre-minting issue. Just curious. Thanks for your help.

Jim

Buffalosteaks.jpg

I believe what you have is planchet streaking caused by an improper mix of the alloy. I have seen it on a number of nickels, and is a part of the metal. There is nothing you can do about it. Some people like it, I understand, but I'm not a fan.

These streaks arose from minor flaws in the mix of the raw ingot bars that composed of 75% Copper and 25% Nickel. Small concentrations of copper that did not have a chance to blend evenly with the much harder nickel were drawn out during the rolling process into the long coppery streaks that produce such “woodgrain” effect toning. Those are some nice examples.

Here’s a fancy name for the streaks, something like what James would describe:

“variegated amber patination”

:grin:

As far as the look goes I like it on some. It depends on the direction, severity and toning of the streaks. I like to think the buff on this one is standing against a blizzard and the Indian toned up with character.

74295.jpg.59860dbafbdd5aa6237db5cb72c03ded.jpg

74296.jpg.28794a2aa5ebcce52360ade9489e539b.jpg

As far as the look goes I like it on some. It depends on the direction, severity and toning of the streaks. I like to think the buff on this one is standing against a blizzard and the Indian toned up with character.

I like that look as well Fish. (thumbs u

Sorry for pict quality.

Picture008-20-1.jpg

We used to call it 'woodgrained' , and it appears on early Lincoln cents as well , from like others have said ....improp alloy mix'n an all , and I like the effect and have one like it...and a few cents too .

I like it (thumbs u