• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Registry Awards: I'm Confused

21 posts in this topic

Okay... I was awarded the Journal Award for 2008. I also won 4 "Best in Category" awards. I was expecting a plaque and 4 certificates. I was expecting that based on the text in my first screen capture, which clearly indicates that the winning authors would get a plaque and the category winners would get a certificate and in the second screenshot my name is at the top of the list of the winning authors.

The third picture is NOT of a plaque... It's a piece of paper in an envelope... and what's that crack about "honorable mention?" There has only been 1 "honorable mention" for the journal awards and that was in 2007 to a 13 year old. I'm told by my family back home that this was also the ONLY thing in the package I received. What about the 4 "Best in Category" certificates?

I appreciate that fact that NGC is nice enough to do the Registry Awards, but ... I'm not happy right now. I'm not happy at all.

74122.jpg.c365b4bd8f5b9aa3a83fd049a6f0ba9c.jpg

74123.jpg.87a083fb78f9bcaf8b4ab1d92f3debe9.jpg

74124.jpg.24b036cbb0eae35710b627ef10b9cf9c.jpg

Yeah, I thought I was getting a plaque as well. Turns out I got a certificate in a folder today in the mail. I mean, its a nice certificate and I'll probably buy a frame for it, but its no plaque, that's for sure. (I'm still happy to have won, though, don't get me wrong.)

First..........NGC doesn't make the certificates, they pay a company to print them and mail them to everyone that deserves one.

Second.....Just because you only got 1 in the mail doesn't mean there are not more coming!!

Third.........You might still be getting a plaque, maybe they just send a certificate also.

First..........NGC doesn't make the certificates, they pay a company to print them and mail them to everyone that deserves one.

I wasn't thinking that they did make them internally, although the fact that they don't ship them internally is interesting. I wonder if NGC has any internal check on what they send out.

Second.....Just because you only got 1 in the mail doesn't mean there are not more coming!!

This had occured to me, but it didn't really seem to make sense. The others have been receiving theirs as a group. Why would mine be any different? I'm sure it's also wasteful of postage and time to ship them separately. We're also not trained to think optimistically in engineering.

Third.........You might still be getting a plaque, maybe they just send a certificate also.

Again, this idea really doesn't make much sense to me. 1) Prior winners have made no reference to a certificate. 2) There is nothing in the news post about a certificate and a plaque. 3) Why send 2 awards for the same thing? 4) There was nothing in the package saying that anything else would be forthcoming. 5) This still doesn't explain why it refers to the award as an honorable mention.

The only way your third point would hold up is if there's been some unannounced problem with making the plaques.

Yes I was exceptionally annoyed last night and I'm sure it showed. I was shocked because what came in the mail did not correspond at all to what I was given to expect. I posted this so that someone can explained what the deal is. Personally, I'm glad that I did because it looks like I'm probably not the only one.

It's an AWARD, not an entitlement. Be glad that you won it, straighten it out if they said (e.g.) you'd get a plaque and not a certificate, but don't get 'upset' or 'shocked'. It's not that big of a deal.

It's an AWARD, not an entitlement. Be glad that you won it, straighten it out if they said (e.g.) you'd get a plaque and not a certificate, but don't get 'upset' or 'shocked'. It's not that big of a deal.

Okay. I can play with words all day, though I don't think I ever used the word "shocked." I also never said anything about being entitlement. And again, I am glad that I won; I didn't say I wasn't. But I think I'm justified in feeling this way.

Okay. I can play with words all day, though I don't think I ever used the word "shocked." I also never said anything about being entitlement. And again, I am glad that I won; I didn't say I wasn't. But I think I'm justified in feeling this way.

Well, yes you did, but don't worry about it.

Yes I was exceptionally annoyed last night and I'm sure it showed. I was shocked because what came in the mail did not correspond at all to what I was given to expect. I posted this so that someone can explained what the deal is.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic; I just think you're making a little bit too much of a big deal about this than you ought to. Just email them and ask them to explain. No need to get upset is all I'm saying. My first post probably just came across as being too gruff.

My Thought are:

Physics-Fan has more of a gripe than you if he ONLY got a certificate

This also belongs as a PM to the NGC registry MOD

They actually made a mistake on my certificate three times for the same year for the same set ( First it was 1883 Mint Set then just 1883 nothing then 1883 proof set) - It is done externally and it is not there fault. They need to be told via PM what is exactly wrong and they will take care of it.

If you go to the 2008 Winners page there are ONLY coin winners there now so they may have changed it ... Physics fan is there You are not.

Maybe they just give honorable mentions now because it is not a physical Registry Set involved. Dont know ask

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/awards/WinningSets.aspx?AwardYearID=31

Regards

• Administrator

The certificates and plaques are mailed out of two different locations. Unfortunately, some certificates were mailed out a little earlier than the plaques and some other certificates. My understanding is that the plaques went out late last week. Anyone expecting a plaque should get it this week.

That certificate for honorable mention that was received by Revenant was generated by mistake. I know for a fact that a plaque is on the way because I placed the order for it myself.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic; I just think you're making a little bit too much of a big deal about this than you ought to. Just email them and ask them to explain. No need to get upset is all I'm saying. My first post probably just came across as being too gruff.

You're probably right. I'm not getting enough sleep, dealing with increasingly dysfunctional teams, and reaching a point of general and excessive irritability.

My Thought are:

Physics-Fan has more of a gripe than you if he ONLY got a certificate

This also belongs as a PM to the NGC registry MOD

To the first, that's a matter of opinion, but I see your point on the second.

If you go to the 2008 Winners page there are ONLY coin winners there now so they may have changed it ... Physics fan is there You are not.

Maybe they just give honorable mentions now because it is not a physical Registry Set involved. Dont know ask

:gossip: Wrong page:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=1161

That certificate for honorable mention that was received by Revenant was generated by mistake. I know for a fact that a plaque is on the way because I placed the order for it myself.

Thanks for the information.Sorry for the abrasive way of bringing it up.

ack... It's time to do that Kinetics HW so I can go to sleep at a reasonable hour tonight. My eyes hurt. :juggle: ----> zzz

no need to apologize Rev..I think your reaction was understandable ( if not a little misdirected)...the plaques are very attractive and of the highest quality..NGC really spares no cost on them and the difference between the plaques and certificates is not even measurable...

I hope that you'll post a picture ( throw modesty aside and share with us what they look like) when you get it...

Congrats again on the award...of the 3 journal awards given, you were unquestionably the best and I wish you'd post more often...

Physics Fan, which award did you get?...congrats to you also, I'd like to check out your award winning set............

PS: the certificates and plaques do come at seperate times..I know from experience and can verify that it is true...just takes a little while..

no need to apologize Rev..I think your reaction was understandable ( if not a little misdirected)...the plaques are very attractive and of the highest quality..NGC really spares no cost on them and the difference between the plaques and certificates is not even measurable...

I hope that you'll post a picture ( throw modesty aside and share with us what they look like) when you get it...

PS: the certificates and plaques do come at seperate times..I know from experience and can verify that it is true...just takes a little while..

Well, I made a few flawed assumptions about how the process works and that is worth apologizing for.

But say.... you have one. Where's your picture? :baiting:

edited to add:

I’m having one of my cheeky moments and I’m tossing around the idea of framing the certificate and displaying it along side the plaque when it arrives. hm

Revenant......I feel that you always seem to overreact! NGC goes above and beyond the call of duty to make this an enjoyable place. It would have only taken a simple PM to NGC to clear up your concerns with out blasting NGC publicly for no reason. I hope you learned something from this experience!!

Just my 2c

since you asked Rev...and I hope this will help some of you understand and be a little more empathetic towards the young man...quite a difference between the plaques and certificates...the only wrong he did was using the wrong forum to solicit an answer..I haven't noticed any pattern of overreaction... NOTE: I covered my real name for privacy purposes...

74424.jpg.61e518c3ed7edd82ede3b6abe9e83c9c.jpg

74425.jpg.a04a2fc7668369b1638859fb999f15e7.jpg

74426.jpg.81a2c599331514aa92f7e2db08dd303d.jpg