• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's a great idea for NGC!

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Here's an idea that has recently come to mind and it has to do with grading coins. Gee, where did this idea come from, you may be wondering. Well, let's just skip that part and let me fill you in on the details.

Since most submissions come with what a collector thinks a coin may grade, why not give him/her a discount on the submission fees if they get it right. For example; If I were to send in, say, 20 coins for grading and along with what I thought each coin might grade and actually got 75% right, perhaps the submitter could receive a discount.

And yes, I realize, this may be the wrong forum to share this idea.

Leo juggle.gif

How does that benefit NGC? They still have to do the same amount of work to grade them. Maybe if they did it for a short promotional period to try and drum up business during a slow part of the year of something, I cannot see any benefits for NGC giving away money and doing the same work.

Leo,

Not only is this asking NGC to forego revenue, but I can see this as being a clerical headache as well. And, the increased operational expense must be compensated from somewhere else, like submission fees?

EVP

How does that benefit NGC? They still have to do the same amount of work to grade them. Maybe if they did it for a short promotional period to try and drum up business during a slow part of the year of something, I cannot see any benefits for NGC giving away money and doing the same work.

It should benefit the collector, if not NGC. For some collectors, it's already a personal endeaver to learn how to grade and be very good at it. Reward them at their will and accomplishment! I think it would become an intriguing and challengeing task to do so. Perhaps the best graders could be posted. A limit to the number coins might be considered and a required percentage.

Leo

Leo,

Not only is this asking NGC to forego revenue, but I can see this as being a clerical headache as well. And, the increased operational expense must be compensated from somewhere else, like submission fees?

EVP

Giving back something like this to the collector might encourage more submissions. I really don't know how they would set it up if they considered the idea. I know they are smarter then me and most likely could make it a very interesting venture for the collector. And I guess, if it makes financial sense whether they might gain or lose from it.

Leo

I don't disagree with the concept but I would think that it would have to be a special for a limited time. No way could they take in less revenue and go through that logistcal nightmare on a permanent basis.

The idea is not a bad one, maybe I'm just trying to win

the, "BEST IDEA OF THE YEAR", award! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

I think that it is a great idea but impractical. Also, sometimes the submitter is "more correct" in their assessment than the TGS. It happens occasionally.

SilverEagleCoins,

Although the top grading services do a very good job, I happen to agree with Victor's statement that they don't always get it right. My little icon was an attempt at sarcastic humor. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

SilverEagleCoins,

Although the top grading services do a very good job, I happen to agree with Victor's statement that they don't always get it right. My little icon was an attempt at sarcastic humor. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

Wait a minute, John, I don't get it. grin.gif