• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009 ASE Proof?

12 posts in this topic

This was brought to my attention on another site. I have subscriptions for both the Proof and Uncir Silver eagles. I haven't heard anything and do not even see it listed in the product schedule, any information concerning the 2009 Proof. Anyone hear of anything?? I usually get this in mid-january.

I thought I seen somewhere that they were do going to issue the UNC eagles like they have been doing.

They were just minting them and giving them to other companys to sell.

The UNC has already been out for quiet some time now.

I also think the proof is most likely delayed because of the UHR and Lincoln Comm.

I thought I seen somewhere that they were do going to issue the UNC eagles like they have been doing.

They were just minting them and giving them to other companys to sell.

The UNC has already been out for quiet some time now.

I also think the proof is most likely delayed because of the UHR and Lincoln Comm.

Well the P mint eagles have been out but I'm actually referring to the "W" mint eagles. Neither are showing up on the US mints website. The proof usually comes out in mid-january and the Uncir "W" usually comes out in march.

In the March 2009 issue of Coin Values page 8 They talk about the Mint having problems getting the blanks for bullion coins.

"In a memo sent to the Mint's authorized purchasers of bullion coins, the Mint announced, "The quantites of blanks that we have been able to acquire from our suppliers continue to be very limited, while demand for bullion coins remains high. As a result, it is necessary for the US Mint to delay the launch of other bullion coins until later in 2009."

They will release the 09W Proof, but as far as the 09W UNC, I have not heard whether or not they will release this one. I have heard mixed info, but based on the past 3 years success of the W UNC, I would be surprised if they don't.

I haven't seen where they said they are going to cancel the W mint mark silver eagles, but I have read some journals that stated they are dropping the W-unc eagles!! (shrug)

I wonder how this will effect the mintage numbers? This may be a low mintage year if these aren't minted til late in the year. I may be jumping the gun but I changed my subscriptions from 1ea to 2ea.

I, too, have heard nothing whatsoever on the proof and conflicting reports on the "burnished W UNC."

Some have said that the W UNC will not be repeated this year, partly due to the Mint's general trimming of their catalog that was announced late last year.

With no news at all about the proofs, it has led to speculation. The possibilities are (1) it won't be made, or (2) it will be. No one knows, at least publicly, what will be done. Supporting evidence for (1) include bullion prices, other bullion being made this year, lack of blanks availability, lack of any announcement, and the fact the Mint is not legally required to produce them - unlike some of the other bullion products. Evidence for (2) is just historical - they have since 1986 and without word that it will stop, the assumption is that it will continue.

But, without any word from the Mint, it's really just an argument from ignorance logical fallacy.

Regardless, I have kept a spot for them in my coin budget for the year.

Subscription page still shows an image with Next in series: 2009

Someone call them. Lets just ask :)

I did just that. Due to the production of theUHR, production is behind schedule. Both the Proof and "W" Uncir will be coing out this year.