• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cleaning bu coins

6 posts in this topic

Matt,

MS-70 is not a ‘dip’ and in my experience will not do as good a job removing toning as a true dip will. IMO it is basically a type of strong soap and works better at removing surface contamination such as dirt and other crud. I have only used it on cheaper, more common world coins and would be very careful about using it on a more expensive coin, as I have not always been pleased with the results, especially on proof coins where it has left a haze on the highly reflective fields.

Also to use it you need to wet a q-tip with it and swab it onto the surfaces. You will need to do this VERY carefully or you will leave hairlines that will affect the value of the coin greatly.

John

Also, I should mention that ANY method of coin ‘cleaning’ including dipping a coin can do more harm than good and should only be attempted by someone familiar with the method being used, and what can be expected from it. My advice is if you must attempt to clean coins, practice on a lot of cheap coins first, or better still don’t clean then at all!

John

I have had great success with MS70 on moderns, especially nice proofs with ugly haze. HOWEVER, I tried it on an older coin and it down right ruined it. Some of the lettering I guess was just porous enough for the chemical to set in and I couldn't get it out!!! I was stuck with orange letters 893whatthe.gif. Fortunately someone liked the coin anyway and bought it off me, he was informed of course, and liked the orange letters? (different strokes.......)

i have heard of people using ms-70 on coins that are in unc shape with un-sightly toning, anyone have any experience of doing this?

thanks

It works great on ms coins. Use a Q-tip to dab it on but do not rub or it will cause hairlines. Let stand for a couple of minutes and rinse in hot water. Use a soft cloth to pat dry. I've also noticed that it can cause a haze on proofs that must be rubbed to remove which will cause hairlines. So, AU and MS coins are the best candidates for MS 70. An advantage of it is that it is not acidic so the acid does not need to be neutralized although it should be adequately rinsed.

I've also discovered that it works really well on circulated Mercury dime! It makes Walkers, however, look un-natural.

I was once advised by a leading numismatist that it would serve best if it was diluted somewhat but I have never tried this. Maybe that is what should be done on proofs to prevent the haze?

You should avoid all copper! It will make it look un-natural. Maybe you could experiment on some pocket change to see if it would work on copper in a diluted state.