• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anthony C. Pacquet

13 posts in this topic

This Stack's auction photo features one of the works of Mr. Pacquet outside of coinage. It's an 1864 medal of the

Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul in Philadelphia and according to the description, it's white metal. Weiner and

Bianchi had nothing on this fellow.

AN77892713-rz.jpg

Is this an Austrian copy of Pius IX election as Pope (same engraver)? Pius was the subject of an interesting book about Pius his being "A Prisoner of the Vatican" until 1896 (?) or whenever he died. He would not leave the Vatican nor acknowledge the loss of the Papel States in the Italian Civil War of 1861. He never acknowledged or spoke about or to the King, Victor Emmanual I even though they lived across the same courtyard from one another.

This medal is listed in the Stack's Coin Galleries March auction as American by Pacquet.

It's 80mm and 9mm thick so it must weigh at least a half pound. The opening bid is $450

suggesting an expected sales price of roughly $800. Although I love the reverse, the obverse

has too much damage for my tastes.

AN77892713-oz.jpg

As far as I know, it was Bianchi who engraved some of the spectacular architectural medals

for Pius IX that have been posted on occasion. I've only seen these medals in bronze and silver.

image00845.jpg

With that design, it seems like you could just step up and over that lip and take a walk all the way to the back of the room. Of course as you retreated, you would also become smaller.

Some real killer medals.

:o

This Stack's auction photo features one of the works of Mr. Pacquet outside of coinage. It's an 1864 medal of the

Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul in Philadelphia and according to the description, it's white metal. Weiner and

Bianchi had nothing on this fellow.

AN77892713-rz.jpg

Talk about tiny denticles..... (: