• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just received grades on my latest submission-whaaaaat! Grades revealed!!!!!!!

30 posts in this topic

I decided to use my yearly 5 free submissions as a test and see if NGC was truly tightening grading on bust coins and liberty seated coins. I picked one of each(not including half dimes) that I thought(and so did this board) would grade. My selections were:

1891 Liberty Seated Dime...........From HJB I thought would grade MS62

1875 S Capped Bust 20 cent.......bought from James Garcia I thought EF45

1834 Capped Bust Quarter...........bought from HJB I thought VF30

1839 Capped Bust 50 Cent..........bought from HJB I thought VF30

1871 Libety Seated Dollar............bought off Ebay a year ago I thought VF20

Well to my surprize two BB'd and the rest did, well you tell me what you think, the grades and which two bagged?

I'll tell the grades this weekend.

Jim

1891LibertyseateddimeHJB123008-1.jpg

1875STwentyCentPiecehoriz.jpg

1834BustQuarterHJB.jpg

1839BustHalfReededEdge.jpg

1871PLibertySeatedDollar.jpg

1891 Liberty Seated Dime...........Body Bagged

1875 S Capped Bust 20 cent......Very Fine VF-20

1834 Capped Bust Quarter.........Very Fine VF-30

1839 Capped Bust 50 Cent.........Body Bagged

1871 Libety Seated Dollar...........Fine F-12

Dime - should be 62, but may have bagged? Looks alright to me, though.

20 cent - I could see this at 35, but I would put it at least 40. (If this coin bagged, there's a problem with NGC)

Quarter - Doesn't look right to me.

Half - looks about 30, but I would have no problems with it being lower

Dollar - This is the other one that looks funny, especially the reverse. It would be a stretch for this one to be VF-20, I think.

New Guess

1891 Liberty Seated Dime...........AU-58

1875 S Capped Bust 20 cent......Very Fine VF-20

1834 Capped Bust Quarter.........Very Fine VF-30

1839 Capped Bust 50 Cent.........Body Bagged Improperly Cleaned

1871 Libety Seated Dollar...........Body Bagged Improperly Cleaned The scratch on her arm looks pretty nasty!!

The 1834 and 1839 are certainly not original. Yet, whether or not they have cleaning damage, I cannot say from the images. A bright appearance alone does not consititute improper cleaning unless there is actual damage.

My grades are

1. MS63 or below, not possible to say. Reverse color is borderline questionable.

2. VF35+ and possibly an old cleaning, as it seems glossy.

3. VF30, possibly cleaned, certainly not original.

4. VF30, possibly cleaned, certainly not original, enough detail for XF40 at PCGS ;)

5. VF30, weak strike on LIBERTY may cause conservative VF25 grade. No obvious signs of cleaning visible.

Here are the grades:

1891 LSDime..........................MS62

1875 S Twenty Cent Piece.......BB

1834 CBQuarter .....................VF30

1839 RE CBHalf......................BB

1871 LSDollar..........................VF30

I was totally taken by surprise by the 1875 S Twenty Cent Piece BB'g. I felt absolutely sure it was my best piece of the submission(worried just a little by the rim dings). The 1839 RE CBH was not a total surprise-It and the 1871 LSDollar were the only two I had any reserves about. All five coins were presented to this forum at least once in the last year and none were thought to have been cleaned by anyone, color was brought up as a possible negative on the Dime and the Quarter. Still I know that these are professionals who look every day at nothing but coins and I would like for someone to tell me why the Twenty Cent coin looks cleaned. I have no problem about the 1839 RE CBH, as I said, that was a possibility. Oh well. Thanks for everyone's opinions, it is always interesting to hear and see other's views, that is what makes this forum so much fun for me.

Jim

Now that you mention it, the reverse on the 20 cent piece does appear slightly oblong lol Just kidding. Sorry to hear about the BBs but the others, especially the seated dollar, look like winners!

Here are the grades:

1891 LSDime..........................MS62

1875 S Twenty Cent Piece.......BB

1834 CBQuarter .....................VF30

1839 RE CBHalf......................BB

1871 LSDollar..........................VF30

I was totally taken by surprise by the 1875 S Twenty Cent Piece BB'g. I felt absolutely sure it was my best piece of the submission(worried just a little by the rim dings). The 1839 RE CBH was not a total surprise-It and the 1871 LSDollar were the only two I had any reserves about. All five coins were presented to this forum at least once in the last year and none were thought to have been cleaned by anyone, color was brought up as a possible negative on the Dime and the Quarter. Still I know that these are professionals who look every day at nothing but coins and I would like for someone to tell me why the Twenty Cent coin looks cleaned. I have no problem about the 1839 RE CBH, as I said, that was a possibility. Oh well. Thanks for everyone's opinions, it is always interesting to hear and see other's views, that is what makes this forum so much fun for me.

Jim

My grades are

1. MS63 or below, not possible to say. Reverse color is borderline questionable.

2. VF35+ and possibly an old cleaning, as it seems glossy.

3. VF30, possibly cleaned, certainly not original.

4. VF30, possibly cleaned, certainly not original, enough detail for XF40 at PCGS ;)

5. VF30, weak strike on LIBERTY may cause conservative VF25 grade. No obvious signs of cleaning visible.

Looks like I hit a home run :bump:

The 1875-S 20C has a bit of a glossy texture that made me think it has a cleaning. The coin has a nice natural patina that can be very is misleading. But, the coin either will have hairlines under the toning, or a light wiping, possibly with a jewlers cloth, leaving an unnatural glossy sheen on top of the original toning. I can't say from the pictures.

I really don't see that 20-cent as being a problem unless there are some serious hairlines that we can't see.

The half is completely washed out, but the quarter is definitely cleaned/dipped as well.

1875 S Capped Bust 20 cent "No Grade" ???

There must be something to the surfaces of that coin that the graders were not quite sure about, so it got the dreaded BB for improperly cleaned.

The images do not reveal any clues and I'm sure a cursory inspection revealed nothing awry so you submitted.

If you feel that strongly about getting it into a holder, there is nothing wrong with trying this one again, maybe even with another grading service. If it comes back from another service with the same results, then you know for sure.

Coin 2 look at the nice neat circles around each star. Dirty rings except for one which still has it, just less obvious

Coin 4 the white looks washed out and pale

Coin 5 has similar around the stars, can anyone point out the differences ?

Great grade on the Dollar!! As for the Twenty cent piece, the only places I could see as possibly being cleaned are under the wings of the eagle. Still,I'd like it if they would clarify where they see cleaning.Whether it;'s all over or just a small area.

From the pictures, I would have thought that the 20 cents would be a reject because it appears to have "granular" surfaces similar to some I have bought before that were rejected due to cleaning.

As for the grades, I believe that the 1875-S 20 cent and 1871 Dollar were assigned correctly. Or at least based upon my recollecition of how these coins were graded many years ago since I no longer collect them. The 20 cent "Liberty" legend looks far too weak to me to be an XF and on the Dollar, the whole legend does not even look completely visible though the reverse has very good detail. But maybe I am just blind. But if not, then grading standards must be far more liberal than what I remember.

I'll defend the 1875-S 20c by saying that for NGC to bag it is absurd. I believe my own description said something like "unquestionably problem-free", and I stand by that from the standpoint of a circulated coin.

Jim, I will cheerfully refund you for the coin and gladly add it back to my inventory. Just say the word.

James,

As always, I thank you for your offer, but the coin is my favorite Liberty Seated coin that I own and NGC's reasoning does not change that. I simply wished to have it holdered as they were "free" and I wanted a coin of each denomination. I felt sure if all bagged, then this one would not, but then that's me.

Thank you

Jim

PS, now if you feel really bad about it, I might trade you even for your 1875 CC Twenty Cent piece. lol