• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here we go again! Another mint “accidental on purpose” mint mule

11 posts in this topic

The front page of the February 16 “Coin World” has a lead story about yet another mint “mistake.” This time it is mismatched bronze first spouse medalet with Abigail Adams on the obverse and the Louisa Catherine Adams reverse. It seems that this “mistake” has shown up in a few of the sets that include the first year for this series.

This kind of foolishness is too convenient to be a mistake. I think that the mint has taken an adjunct series (the bronze medalets) of a failed series, the First Spouse program, and added a little spice to it with these shenanigans. So far as I’m concerned, these silly things deserve to be one level above a Chinese copy of a U.S. coin. They are a disgrace to the U.S. mint, and collectors should give these pieces the cold shoulder they deserve.

Sadly I know a lot of lemmings were running to their favorite dealers or perhaps ordering some of these sets to see if they too might win the fraudulent mint error lottery.

by the special they show on tv this cant happen . the dye is picked up and signed for then this then that. 2 heads is even far more off ballance. how did they not know before starting the press that 2 head dyes where in machine.

they did!

by the special they show on tv this cant happen . the dye is picked up and signed for then this then that. 2 heads is even far more off ballance. how did they not know before starting the press that 2 head dyes where in machine.

they did!

Right.

Dies are checked out in dual citizenship. That means either a) two people know of the problem, and made no attempt to fix it, or b) They're in cahoots with each other.

I work around alot of presses and have for a number of years. (Though I do have to admit thay are not coin presses.) On all presses that I have been around Top dies and bottom dies have different shapes at the bases where they insert into the press. That way you cannot get them mixed up.

Some food for thought.

Folks this isn't a case of two obv or two reverse dies being muled together, it's one obv and one rev. Problem is this obv doesn't go with that reverse.

And they don't always sign out dies in pairs, If you are striking and one die fails but the other is fine, you sign out just one replacement die.

And how ould this happen? "I need an Adams obv and reverse." And that is what he got an Adams obverse and an Adams reverse.

The front page of the February 16 “Coin World” has a lead story about yet another mint “mistake.” This time it is mismatched bronze first spouse medalet with Abigail Adams on the obverse and the Louisa Catherine Adams reverse. It seems that this “mistake” has shown up in a few of the sets that include the first year for this series.

This kind of foolishness is too convenient to be a mistake. I think that the mint has taken an adjunct series (the bronze medalets) of a failed series, the First Spouse program, and added a little spice to it with these shenanigans. So far as I’m concerned, these silly things deserve to be one level above a Chinese copy of a U.S. coin. They are a disgrace to the U.S. mint, and collectors should give these pieces the cold shoulder they deserve.

Sadly I know a lot of lemmings were running to their favorite dealers or perhaps ordering some of these sets to see if they too might win the fraudulent mint error lottery.

:applause:

(worship)

Folks this isn't a case of two obv or two reverse dies being muled together, it's one obv and one rev. Problem is this obv doesn't go with that reverse.

And they don't always sign out dies in pairs, If you are striking and one die fails but the other is fine, you sign out just one replacement die.

And how ould this happen? "I need an Adams obv and reverse." And that is what he got an Adams obverse and an Adams reverse.

Sounds plausible. Thanks for the post Conder.