• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little confused about the "new" edge view slab

24 posts in this topic

As an incentive to signing up with NGC in October of 2007, I was sent this coin in what I assume is an edge view slab. Is there a NEW edge view slab? What's the difference, other than the reverse logo?? Or, are the NEW edge view slabs the scratch proof ones? I'm confused. RI Al

edgeobv-1.jpg

edgerev-1.jpg

That's an old one. The hologram is different now.

I guess there's 3 types of EdgeView holders. Yours would be generation 1. No scratch-resistant coating, and an old hologram.

The second generation would be transitional. It has a new hologram, but no protective coating.

The third generation would have the new hologram, and the protective coating.

Dont forget the new shell and sealing proceedure that leaves diamond shaped welds on the edges, which was indroduced withthe new hologram and label.

To my best understanding, the new holders are also made of a different kind of plastic.

Well, that's good to know. I was begining to wonder if I was 'the test case" and someday my slab would be as valuable as the black NGC slab that is on auction for what, $1500 now?? Oh well...dreaming is cheap.

Thanks for the info, guys. Oh...more good news...no more yellow jello, chicken broth and horrid concoctions from the pharmacy ...today was the big "test" and I passed (pardon the pun) with flying colors.

Well, that's good to know. I was begining to wonder if I was 'the test case" and someday my slab would be as valuable as the black NGC slab that is on auction for what, $1500 now?? Oh well...dreaming is cheap.

Thanks for the info, guys. Oh...more good news...no more yellow jello, chicken broth and horrid concoctions from the pharmacy ...today was the big "test" and I passed (pardon the pun) with flying colors.

Congrats Al 10_12_6.gif36_1_11-1.gif

In most cases, the overhang doesnt actually touch the face of the coin, it just hangs over it (unless its a coin like a Bust quarter that doesnt fit snuggly inside the gasket they use, and can be pressed right against either the front or back prongs.

Yeah, on a quite thick coin it may not overhang at all by the looks.

I really like it. Don't pass judgement until you have seen a couple of different coins in it, in hand.

No idea, I don't collect them !

But as someone said, they are often a tiny bit different sizes ? NGC should look at more different sizes being available. I hope if someone has a bad one they post an image and explain why. It can only help future updates to the holders

Like the coin. The prongs are intrusive - would be better if smaller, and clear; or would a clear sized insert ring work better?

Looks good to me.

Hard to put into words, but I definitely like it. There's something about it in hand. The old cups used to completely obscure the actual 3rd edge, and even parts of the rim if the coin was deep down in there.. making the coin 2 dimensional ?

Well, everyone seems to like that half cent in the new holder. But, I'm going to have to strongly disagree. The half cent is amazing - you've got a great coin and there's no denying that. But I've made it perfectly clear that I strongly dislike the edge view holders on any and all coins. This one is no different.

Beautiful half cent, but I think the "prongs" detract from the overall appearance of the coin. I'll be sending in a few pieces to NGC soon, and I'll see if my opinion changes when I can see them close up. Right now I'm a thumbs down.

Many times the grading services insert the coin out of alignment. I wonder if one could rotate the coin in the holder to align it properly.

Still think three prongs would have been enough. Four prongs is overkill.

One thing you will find out with the new holders is.........much easier to photograph. It seems the light passing through helps and it is not TILTED. About 90% of my coins in the old NGC holders are either rotated or tilted and some are both. I do not have any IHC proofs in the new holders but I have several half cents in them. But the debate will continue and to each their own. Before passing judgement see one in hand with the series you collect. Jason I have seen several Bust Halves in the new holders and I thought they looked great.

One thing you will find out with the new holders is.........much easier to photograph. It seems the light passing through helps and it is not TILTED. About 90% of my coins in the old NGC holders are either rotated or tilted and some are both. I do not have any IHC proofs in the new holders but I have several half cents in them. But the debate will continue and to each their own. Before passing judgement see one in hand with the series you collect. Jason I have seen several Bust Halves in the new holders and I thought they looked great.

Well, I just ordered a Bustie in the new holder this morning. Everyone keeps saying I have to see it in hand to judge properly, and all I've seen in hand are quarters and dimes at the local B&M. I'll give it a fair shot, since the Bustie is apparently the best looking coin in the new holder, but I'm not holding out much hope.

3258563-005O.JPG

3258563-005R.JPG