• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADE REVEALED on my FAVORITE 1834 Bust half!

15 posts in this topic

Housed in a brand new NGC, Edgeview slab, I was able to capture the coin rather well, though the plastic still does not allow a good show of the luster.

No controvery here; this one is just for fun. I'll be interested to see the responses, though!

1834o101.jpg

1834o101b.jpg

1834r101b.jpg

1834r101c.jpg

The way NGC has tightened standards, and this coin's lack of wear, I would guess AU53. And without looking I would guess O-101. ;)

It's extra difficult to capture the luster on this piece for reasons I wont yet disclose, but that is a hint. However, let me say that this coin has all the detail present at the time of striking (much as does the 1830 from my other thread). Who's next?

I concur with MBA 101 with it being O-101. Rarity 1, common, over 1000 known. Star 8 is very close to the cap. On the reverse the I in PLURIBUS is left of the stand of T in STATES. The base of M in AMERICA is higher then the adjacent E. What I don''t see that should be on O-101 is line 1 of stripe 5 reaching up to crossbar 5 but maybe it just doesn't show in your photo. I would go with AU 55.

RI AL

This coin is a Pop 1 at NGC! Does anyone else have a guess on this fantastic coin (there's a reason why it's my favorite 1834 ;)

The angle shots are taken to give away certain clues about the grade, if one knows where to look.

Everyone is at a major disadvantage not seeing this coin in person. My clue that its a pop 1 at NGC prompted the only correct response. This is the only 1834 O-101 ever to be graded Prooflike. The fields of each side are rich, deeply mirrored glass (I could see, though not quite clearly read, an NGC label from 12 inches away from the raw coin), and the devices are frosty with a cameo, frosted finish. If this coin were brilliant instead of modestly toned, it would probably be almost fully Cameo.

In person, this coin is obviously uncirculated, it doesn't even look close to AU, in fact! The fragile glass fields would never hold up to any amount of circulation and still remain so choice. The high points are also deceptive, if seen only by photograph, because they will appear to have considerable friction and wear. This coin has no wear, and only the tiniest hint of friction! I tried to capture the luster over ALL the high points, it shows but I did not completely succeed. Luster over the flattened high points confirms this is not a slider, but a nice mint state half dollar. About now, you are noticing a great deal of difference between the color and texture of the high points and the rest of the design elements, and this "seems" like evidence of considerable friction, to you. However, remember that the devices of this coin are frosted, and the weakly struck areas, by definition, are places where the metal didn't fill the dies. Thus, the silver in these areas never came in contact with the frosty finish, and a glossy luster resulted. This is a very tricky coin!

It does have a touch of textbook cabinet friction (which also appears shiny, not dull, like rub or actual wear would be) on the nose and forehead. Cabinet friction counts as contact, not as wear, and is thus reflected in the MS grade assigned. This piece would have graded at least MS62 without that disturbance. As is, it was given a well deserved MS61PL by the conservatively grading NGC.