• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you refund extra postage fees to a buyer?

23 posts in this topic

I don't know if I'm being too honest or what. I charged an auction with Priority rates for mailing. When I mailed the package off, the postal worker put it 1st class and said it wouldn't matter, would probably get there the same as priority the letter sized package. I emailed the buyer and told him that with pastage and mailer that I over-charged him about a $1.50 and would refund it if he provides me with his paypal info. Do you think I should have just let this ride considering the Ebay and paypal fees I incurred also or did I do the right thing? What would you have done?? Thanks for any opinions!!

I often send the buyer any money that they over pay.

If you want to send the money back to the person, go into your paypal account and check the details for the transaction and click give refund then you can do partial refund and enter the amount.

If you want to send the money back to the person, go into your paypal account and check the details for the transaction and click give refund then you can do partial refund and enter the amount.

Thanks Jaime. Never had to do this before. I always wind up paying more for postage than what I put in my auctuions.

Buy a $10 scale on eBay and then you can print the postage using paypal shipping from your home and then you only have to pay $0.18 for delivery confirmation and if you send it priority mail delivery confirmation for free.

Plus you can just give the package to tha mail man and you would have to go to the post office anymore!!

Buy a $10 scale on eBay and then you can print the postage using paypal shipping from your home and then you only have to pay $0.18 for delivery confirmation and if you send it priority mail delivery confirmation for free.

Plus you can just give the package to tha mail man and you would have to go to the post office anymore!!

I've seen this. How does the postage print out? Do I pay by credit card?

No, it come out of your paypal balance or checking account.

Just click the link on eBay and you will see how it works, you will have to make sure you turn off the pop up blocker.

The only problem with paypal shipping is you can only use it if someone pays you with paypal.

There have been a couple of times where the seller has refunded me a small amount for shipping when I paid too much. Sometimes it has been their mistake, sometimes it was mine. Sometimes I open the package and find a dollar or 2 studck in there as the refund. Sometimes, if I paid with Paypal, they'll just issue a partial refund that way. It's always great when a seller will do that.

I don't know if I'm being too honest or what. I charged an auction with Priority rates for mailing. When I mailed the package off, the postal worker put it 1st class and said it wouldn't matter, would probably get there the same as priority the letter sized package. I emailed the buyer and told him that with pastage and mailer that I over-charged him about a $1.50 and would refund it if he provides me with his paypal info. Do you think I should have just let this ride considering the Ebay and paypal fees I incurred also or did I do the right thing? What would you have done?? Thanks for any opinions!!

I can't tell you what to do, but I will refund excess shipping charges whenever they occure. Buyers like to be treated right, even if it's just a dollar ;)

It's been so much easier to mail stuff I sell since I signed up for the Ebay- Paypal online postage service. They actually use Pitney Bowes software. With coins it's easy.For small coins I choose 1 0z,larger coins(silver dollars) aI choose 2 0z.It's pretty cheap even w/insurance. It gives you a choice of what size envelop or package,delivery confirmation is 18 cents,insurance goes up to $750.Any higher and you have to go to the P.O . Actually delivery confirmation is mandatory because of Paypal protection. No more going to the post office for 2 or 3 small items.

I also signed up with the Postal service online postage. They are more limited in what types of postage.I think the cheapest they offer online is Priority.

I did it this way jaime. thanks for the help.

you did the right thing

I've done it both ways, money in the package and partial refund through paypal. I tend to do the partial refund since paypal will refund a few cents that way.

If it's a dollar or more, I refund excess shipping costs. Just seems like tghe right thing to do.

regarding E-Bay shipping estimates, I may have told this before, but I sold a 14 pound musical insturment on E-Bay and told the buyer that I would have it shipped by UPS and quoted him the E-Bay rate plus about $25 for boxing it up. I would up taking a $125 bath on that sale because the E-Bay estimate was totally on the wrong planet. Watch out for e-bay estimates on bigger stuff. I don't think they are always right...or even CLOSE!

My problem with shipping estimates is that I try to configure the weight and actually give a little more than what I figure. I go to the USPS site and check rates. Well it usually winds up higher at the post ofc than what the web site shows.

The only problem with paypal shipping is you can only use it if someone pays you with paypal.

That's not true. A while back someone posted a link to PayPal shipping that you can use any time. I don't have that link on this computer but I have used it before for Marketplace or BST sales.

If I used a form of shipping (first class) that I did not advertise (priority), I would refund the cost of shipping. More often than not, I underestimate the cost of shipping and eat and would not give a small refund for the rare case that I overestimate it.

Truth be told, I rarely sell anything on ebay and my prices for items I sell on the BST include delivery.

No reason why I should. They agreed to the shipping and handling cost when they made their bid. Neither do I request reimbursement where my actual shipping, handling, and packaging cost exceeds what they paid for this. However this is a moot issue as any ebay listings of mine are mostly "free shipping."

With the rules ebay recently adapted disallowing sellers to neg bad customers I have folded my hand and just quiely include an allowance for shipping and handling in the asking price of the item along with any other markup and then list it "free shipping." Creative Accounting works just fine for me.

ill either give them there money they didnt need to pay. or ill toss in goodies to make up for it.

I do the same thing when selling books. Seems to work fine. Keeps everyone happy.

DRX