• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Know the Answer?

39 posts in this topic

There are probably a lot of potential answers for this question There are ton of fake 1799 large cents out there, 1796 half cents, as mentioned 1804 dollars Frankly with all the fakes coming out of China it won't be long before that will be true of the 1795 bust dollars, 1877 indian head cents? Maybe. 1802 half dimes, there are only about 40 genuine pieces in all conditions and I'm sure there are more than 40 fakes out there.

Ok lets pretend its less than 100 years

I am gonna guess 1916-D Mercury Dime :P

Although this just about the ultimate faked coin, I would contend that genuine examples still far outnumber fake examples.

Although this just about the ultimate faked coin, I would contend that genuine examples still far outnumber fake examples.

The fake 1943 copper cents far outnumber the real ones.

The fake 1943 copper cents far outnumber the real ones.

Of course, we are all ignoring the fact that these altered coins are still real coins! Just misrepresented. Copper-plated 1943 cents are still genuine "cents", and a 1901 quarter with an added "S" is still a genuine 1901 quarter.

I'd be interested in knowing what coin is the most frequently faked "from scratch", either struck of fake dies, or cast.

I'd be interested in knowing what coin is the most frequently faked "from scratch", either struck of fake dies, or cast.

According to Redbook, 1804 Silver Dollar, Lafayette Dollars, 1795 Half-Dimes and low-mintage commemorative half-dollars.