• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Holder rant.

35 posts in this topic

Jsst got a submission back with the new edgeview prong inserts, never again!

these are good for very very few coins mostly busties.

these prongs are very distracting and overlap onto coin edge. if these edgeview prong inserts are now standard i will never submit to NGC again! i know about the counterfeit concern, it`s overblown.

who buys U.S.coins from China anyway?

if these edgeview prong inserts are now standard i will never submit to NGC again!

I am sorry that you feel that way.

I still think the new NGC holder is better the PCGS holder.

It will just take time to start liking the holder and NGC will most likey just issue another holder in a few years.

I will get my first edgeview inserts in hand very soon maybe even today so will reserve judgement for now

Really I don't mind losing a bit of rim but detail is bad to lose. Does look like it should hold the coin straight though ! and there is nothing I hate more than a coin which has rotated or tilted !

Except maybe scratches. But they have fixed that too.. kudos I say.

Does look like it should hold the coin straight though and there is nothing I hate more than a coin which has rotated or tilted !

Ditto That!! So many of my dimes are tilted in the holders!! I hate that!!

Jsst got a submission back with the new edgeview prong inserts, never again!

these are good for very very few coins mostly busties.

these prongs are very distracting and overlap onto coin edge. if these edgeview prong inserts are now standard i will never submit to NGC again! i know about the counterfeit concern, it`s overblown.

who buys U.S.coins from China anyway?

The edegview isnt necessarily an anti-counterfit measure a much as the new holograms, watermarks, and seal are.

Also the edgeview is hit or miss, depending on what type of coin is being holdered. They do not have a custom fitting for all coin types, ratehr they mix and match coins with similar diameters. Those coins that have their own custom gasket sit perfectly in the center, have a comfortable distance between edge and gasket ring, and are nicely showcased in the slab. As an example, coins like my 1818 Bust Quarter, which I made a thread about, do not have their own custom gasket and look terrible in the new holder. There is enough room to fit 3 stacked early quarters in the space between the lips of the prongs, and the coin could be in the front, back, or center possition of the holder. My 1818 25C is in the back, and the coin sits so far down into the gasket, and the rims coem so close to the gasket ring, that the edge is not visible. Looking from the reverse, the coin is pressed up against the prong lips that overlap the coin, and almost right up against the plastic window. Its in a gasket designed for a much thicker coin, and the diameter and thickness of a Bust quarter are not compatable with the holder being used.

Can't stand them either.I read on NGC's website you can request a new slab and they offer two types. Normal holder for $5 and scratch resistant "edge view" for $10. So,wouldn't it follow that you can request the normal holder on you submission form?

I prefer the new edge-view holders to the older style. I have a few fractional farthings in the old holders and it is quite hard to see the coin, they are buried so deep in the holder and tipped.

Simply put, in my opinion, the holder should be an inert item when it comes to displaying a coin. With the "design" that the prongs present, it detracts terribly from a simple display of the item you want attention focused on.

All this came about because of the mania about the new dollar with edge lettering. We all know the dollar coins is a failure, no matter how much the mint trys to push it.

So, we are stuck with a design made for a coin that is a failure.....

I guess that about sums it up.

And I won't even get into the thickness and prong problem.

MM

The EDGE vs normal white insert is at their discretion

They simply need more work as coins come in, if it doesnt fit REALLY REALLY nicely or is obscured at all, use the old white insert.

Really, thats all that needs to be done. They need more practice and more insert sizes for all those coins out there. And you can just reholder it later, right ? you could even try complaining :P

The $5 normal = edge/non edge

The $10 = edge/non edge

Same thing. $5 for scratch resistant layer added.

Got two coins in the edgeview today

Love it. The 1855 Sovereign looks awesome. Its like having a PCGS holder but with edgeview and with the good NGC white.. it lets the light in etc etc

I even like the prongs. They almost announce the coin to your eyes (they all point towards the center of the coin)

Only time I would not like it is if it obscures details. Otherwise I totally support NGC, it is a step forward, a fairly important one.

i could give you close to one hundred examples of coins like this even mucho larger sized coins in these pronged holders THAT DONT PRESENT POSITIVE HOLDERING

also my biggest problem is if i break many of thess pronged holdered coins that are white out of their holders after a year or so or more will i get tab shadow marks where the tabs covered the coin on the rims??

oh and the photo was courtesy of heritage auction archives

Definitely that is where they need to be improving things

I would not hesitate and send an email to NGC about that overlap. If noone says anything, they will assume we all think it's fine ?

I can't see how you will get shadow marks - unless the coin is unstable

I knew it it's all about the plastic simple.Now even the plastic is subjective or has

??dare I say eye appeal .Whitman sells those 2x2 case pack of 25 clear cent nixkel dime quarter half and big dollar and new small dollar for $20.00 very nice plastic for my money

The prong holders are terrible. Images of coins in these holders look awful, especially small coins like the trime that michael posted.

NGC should either make the prongs out of clear plastic, or allow the submitter to opt for a "normal" holder.

The prong holders are terrible. Images of coins in these holders look awful, especially small coins like the trime that michael posted.

NGC should either make the prongs out of clear plastic, or allow the submitter to opt for a "normal" holder.

I'm strongly in favor of combining both those ideas, a clear pronged insert and optional usage.

Love it. The 1855 Sovereign looks awesome. Its like having a PCGS holder but with edgeview and with the good NGC white.. it lets the light in etc etc

I even like the prongs. They almost announce the coin to your eyes (they all point towards the center of the coin)

Only time I would not like it is if it obscures details. Otherwise I totally support NGC, it is a step forward, a fairly important one.

I like them alot also. I think they look very cool and I am glad NGC is making an effort at coin presentation, which I think is very important. I see that alot of people don't like these holders, which is sad. To each his own I suppose, I'm happy. I was a PCGS buyer and have now switched to the NGC prong holder (collect mostly moderns).

The edgeview slabs only "announce the coin to your eyes" when the particular size they used is specifically made for the coin being holdered. Othwerwise, the coin can sit in a low, middle, or high possition in the slab and obscure the view of it from either 1 or both sides...Let alone the problems of overlapping prongs. I would be in love with the edgeviews if the coins all fit inside them.

Othwerwise, the coin can sit in a low, middle, or high possition in the slab and obscure the view of it from either 1 or both sides..

And with the old slabs the coin could also be in a high, middle, or low position, had its edge not visible, and was often obscured by overhanging shadows from the edge of the holder. Not to mention often being in the holder in a tipped position with one edge high and one low. Seems to me the new holder is no worse than the old one.

I like them also...

my 3 biggest pluses:

1. many world coins have edge lettering...so this Plus is obvious

2. I find a consistent "levelness" to the coins, before a coin may be higher on the left and recessed on the right ( or vice versa) creating a shadow and making them very hard to photo "straight on"

3. I also like the open area around the coin. By laying the slab on various colored backgrounds, I have another way to photo them...plus a black background seems to focus more light on the coin...

I would however expect an exact fit for my coin, not the "closest size"