• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to "holder" a 1/12 stater coin?

6 posts in this topic

Other than a simple coin flip or 2X2, what would be a nice way to properly display (and holder) a tiny silver coin like a 1/12 stater? I actually like the old ICG holder but I know most ancient collectors HATE the idea of slabbing. I'm not against it, but ANACS will charge me $29 to holder it and that's too expensive. What alternatives are there that might allow me to put my own descriptive label on it and clearly see the coin while protecting it from harm?

The coin is about 9mm wide at the most. Any idea how/where to get a single airtite with insert where I don't have to buy a boxful (o/w with shipping I'll pay like $10 for a single airtite!).

I have a couple of free options for you.

First, I use the EAGLE rigid plastic 2x2 holders with a lot of my foreign stuff. The 2 sides snap together firmly. Before putting the sides together, you attach the clear plastic mylar square (on on each side) to the inside of each side of the holder. Though I don't have any dime size holders, (I think nickel is the smallest I have) the mylar clear plastic comes in different thicknesses. I have successfully used these holders with the thickest mylar inserts and often, it keeps the coin from sliding around in the holder. On occasion I have had to use 3 mylar squares, but I get it to work most of the time.

Another option, I have a couple dime sized "cointains" with rings inside to accomodate a 1/2 dime and a 3 cent silver. Your 1/12 stater might fit more snugly in one of these. Then just pop it in a clear flip, and you're all set..,.no muss, no fuss... and free. Just let me know if anything is of interest and I'll be happy to pop them in the mail to you. The only problem is if the coin is FAT, neither option will work but with the 1/12 being so small, I bet that one option or the other will work.

Just let me know!

Ri AL

Ri AL: Thanks for your suggestions. The 3CS one will be too big unfortunately for this, by a couple of millimeters. But, I really do appreciate the offer. I'm going to see what I can come up with. I have some airtites; maybe I can create a tighter ring on my own.