• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBAY STORE WORTH PERUSING!!!!!

28 posts in this topic

READ BEFORE YOU LINK!

I have bought from this gentleman for over the last 8 months, shortly after he "opened" his doors for business. I have talked on the phone at length, to one of his grandsons about this hoard of collectibles accumulated over a 50+ year span. Were it not for Vern having had a stroke, I doubt very much if his family would know how vast his collecting has been. But he broke the news to them after the stroke for fear of no one knowing where/what it was.

He bought straight from the mint and his local bank and a local dealer. EVERYTHING went straight into a bank vault---untouched and unseen. One "vault" holds roughly one TON of collectibles. HE HAS NINE SUCH VAULTS! When I last talked to him, he was just starting to get into the third one (about 2 months ago).

Before listing everything thru eBay, a dealer offered him $375,000 for the entire stash. He turned it down, of course. So far, he has realized well over 3 times that amount just from the first two vaults!

If you can't find something you would like from his inventory, you are not looking close enough. The entire gamut of what is collectible coin-wise is/will be here and worth checking out regularly.

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO FINANCIAL INTEREST IN RELAYING THIS INFO! It is simply one of the best sources for anything any collector could want. IMO.

http://stores.ebay.com/finderskeepersofomaha

Don't forget to check out the "other items" in his listings!

David

READ BEFORE YOU LINK!

I have bought from this gentleman for over the last 8 months, shortly after he "opened" his doors for business. I have talked on the phone at length, to one of his grandsons about this hoard of collectibles accumulated over a 50+ year span. Were it not for Vern having had a stroke, I doubt very much if his family would know how vast his collecting has been. But he broke the news to them after the stroke for fear of no one knowing where/what it was.

He bought straight from the mint and his local bank and a local dealer. EVERYTHING went straight into a bank vault---untouched and unseen. One "vault" holds roughly one TON of collectibles. HE HAS NINE SUCH VAULTS! When I last talked to him, he was just starting to get into the third one (about 2 months ago).

Before listing everything through EBAY, a dealer offered him $375,000 for the entire stash. He turned it down, of course. So far, he has realized well over 3 times that amount just from the first two vaults!

If you can't find something you would like from his inventory, you are not looking close enough. The entire gamut of what is collectible coin-wise is/will be here and worth checking out regularly.

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO FINANCIAL INTEREST IN RELAYING THIS INFO! It is simply one of the best sources for anything any collector could want. IMO.

http://stores.ebay.com/finderskeepersofomaha

Don't forget to check out the "other items" in his listings!

David

Thanks Spy I found a couple things I was looking for.

I purchased them outright as the prices were reasonable to me. cloud9.gif

Yeah, that 80cc ms/65 DMPL in the Numistrust holder must have been put away in the "stash", for at least what, 20 years?

C'mon!

I only had to scroll down the Ebay Store list about 8 coins to find that. I didn't bother with the rest of the pages. There may be some nice stuff in there, but most likely the "story" is a crock.

Yeah, that 80cc ms/65 DMPL in the Numistrust holder must have been put away in the "stash", for at least what, 20 years?

C'mon!

I only had to scroll down the Ebay Store list about 8 coins to find that. I didn't bother with the rest of the pages. There may be some nice stuff in there, but most likely the "story" is a crock.

What's to say the guy didn't pick it up at a coin show. The collection covers 55 years of collecting and buying. Like I've said in other threads, the babyboomers are coming of the retirement age and I see tons of this stuff surfacing over the next 20 years, why not, it makes sense, it's just a matter of time.

Leo

Sorry, bigd5! Never said everything was 50+ years old. Never said he stopped buying and stashing. He still does to this day, regardless of his familys desire for him to cease and desist. You do something, ANYTHING, long enough, it is hard to stop. I'm a smoker and a golfer. These two "habits" are enough for me and cannot quit after 35 years of the former and almost 40 years of the latter.

Your "opinion" as to my story being "...most likely a crock..." is tantamount to accusing me of lying, stretching the truth, having an interest in promoting the site, whatever. I take no offense. If you are not interested, you are not interested. Fine and dandy! My sole purpose in posting the site was to "inform" forum members of potential purchases, as was posting the seizedproperty auction site. I have NEVER steered anyone to a particular coin or coins in ANY regard (price/grade/value). I do not deem myself capable of making that kind of decision for anybody BUT myself, including what expertise I have with Jeff nickels (my specialty).

If you do not wish to peruse, then by all means, do not peruse!

MAULEMALL, glad you found something(s)! It pleases me to hear it and know I helped someone who is open-minded (ahem).

And, Leo, thanks for the back-up!

spy88,

This is an incredible hoard. Thanks for sharing. However, it does appear that most items are on the high-end of retail based upon a cursory perusing. It certainly doesn't diminish his accomplishment, though.

David - I just won two BU nickel rolls from this fellow! They came VERY cheap and I look forward to weeing them. Very efficient methods of billing. He made it easy.

Thanks! Hoot

David - I just won two BU nickel rolls from this fellow! They came VERY cheap and I look forward to weeing them. Very efficient methods of billing. He made it easy.

Thanks! Hoot

Ummm...Hoot...umm...would that be considered artificial toning? 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

893whatthe.gif Err, Hoot, I hope that's not how the 29s buffalo I bought from you got it's nice golden tone! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

On a more serious note, I received the coin today and I am very happy with it! It has an excellent strike and ample eye appeal, just as you said. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks

John

David,

Bigd5 is partially right as with any new hoard that comes onto the market, there are more trumped up fairy tales then truths. Like with any new seller, "buyer beware." Get to know the seller first hand before buying anything too expensive. You have had 8+ months of experince with this seller and bigd5 is only showing a little concern and has only misread your post. I could have easily done the same. I would like to hear more good input on how this sellers material turns out when some of you guys receive your orders.

Thanks David for bringing this seller to light. Thanks bigd5 for the word of caution.

Regards, Leo

Very well said, Leo!

foreheadslap.gif Duh, It just now dawned on me where you got your moniker. Good thing that your name isn't Chip or else your new moniker would be Buffalo chips . grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Very well said, Leo!

foreheadslap.gif Duh, It just now dawned on me where you got your moniker. Good thing that your name isn't Chip or else your new moniker would be Buffalo chips . grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

You know! I need one of those things.......lol.......whatever it is!

Leo

893whatthe.gif Err, Hoot, I hope that's not how the 29s buffalo I bought from you got it's nice golden tone! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

On a more serious note, I received the coin today and I am very happy with it! It has an excellent strike and ample eye appeal, just as you said. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks

John

Excellent! grin.gifsmile.gif

Hoot

Leo, I have purchased well over 50 rolls of various denoms (primarily Jeffs), along with silver eagle PRs, many mint sets and proof sets from Vern and his grandson in those 8 months. Have yet to be dissatisfied on anything.

When he first started auctioning items, no one, including me, had any idea how vast his collecting habit had been. When I first saw his item listing pages and read that he had been collecting for 55 years, I too was a little wary

(thought it might be another one of those "estate sales"). This is why I called them on the phone and talked to them both for close to an hour. That conversation made me a believer that all his collection is just as he told me and now have told you. I was not, by any means, the first to notice the depth of it. If you check out some of his feedback from buyers, you will see MANY return customers. I personally have been sniped many times by a drgolan. He REALLY pissed me off a couple of times! Verns feedback was less then 100 when I found his "store".

Leo, I know none of you know me personally, but I would NEVER post something like this for forum members to see, unless I was truly interested in sharing something I thought would be a benefit to all, some or even just one member.

Nor would I do it without KNOWING that what I say is the truth. I'm sorry, but I did not read any "concern" in bigd5s response. I gave all who were interested in this site, as with the seizedproperties site, the benefit of the doubt as far as your being able to decide for yourselves whether or not to participate. I did not feel any of you needed to be TOLD "buyer beware". We are all adults and I give all of you credit to make those decisions for yourselves and assumed you would do so.

Verns pricing on his "Buy It Now" listings are IMO competitive. His auction items may seem high but that is because of those bidders KNOWING what they are bidding on is what they will get. Again, I never said anything about getting something at less then nominal amount. Never entered my mind. Most of you are many times over, more knowledgeable about value then I concerning the majority of his listings. I simply pointed you in A direction and let those interested go from there.

As I said earlier, I take no offense at bigd5. I think it was a little shortsighted and I think he jumped to conclusions after seeing only one page of items, but tis his perogitive. I simply found it hard to believe that one forum member would be so cynical about another members background info on a site I thought would be of benefit to EVERYONE. To suggest I would make all this up (for what benefit?) crinkled my forehead in amazement and disbelief.

I'm done with my sign-rantpost.gif

David

Leo, I know none of you know me personally, but I would NEVER post something like this for forum members to see, unless I was truly interested in sharing something I thought would be a benefit to all, some or even just one member.

spy88,

You've proven yourself over time and have proven to be an intelligent, contributing member to the boards so no apology is necessary. crazy.gif

We love you, maaaaaan! grin.gif

Spy88, when I mentioned the story is most likely a "crock", I was referring to the sellers story on the Ebay page. I would imagine what your experiences have been, are true.

Been doing this for too long and seen too much to not have a skeptical view on that Ebay Store.

I'll peruse a bit more, and offer a more detailed opinion. I will say that his/her inventory is similar to what a larger bullion type dealer's inventory would consist of.

if he or she is purchasing Numistrust material, they must have a skilled eye for quality.

Ok, I went back and looked through 8 pages of material.

I'll stick by my initial conclusion. The array of material eeks of a bullion type dealer cleaning house.

I saw one old holder coin (anacs). A couple of green label pcgs coins, and some somewhat old ngc slabs, but not more than 10 years old.

If the collecting went back as long as claimed, there would be more old holder stuff, IN MY OPINION.

There is also WAY too many modern mint products offered, for me to feel comfortable thinking that a "collector" had a fancy for them.

The groupings of circulated silver are too neat and tidy for my liking also.

Hey, I may be dead wrong on this one, and I'm not saying don't bid on something you like here. A coin is a coin. Whether it's sold by someone I like, or don't like doesn't change the coin. If the descriptions are accurate, and the material is dlvd. as advertised, who cares.

Good Luck! smile.gif

For the record, as I did not include it in my original story:

When Verner (his actual name) bought something(s), it would go straight to the bank and into a box already in a vault. Some boxes contain newER material and some boxes contain oldER material and some boxes contain both. I guess it was just a matter of which vault he went to and put into whichever box. He never kept an inventory of any kind. I do not know what is stored in each and every vault, neither does Verner OR his grandson. Nor does anyone know what they will find in each box from each vault. As they pull out a box and it (the stuff it holds) sells, they just go grab another box.

As there was no rhyme or reason to Verns "storage", and they list the items as they come out of a box, there is no way to tell where the 40 to 50+ year old stuff is. I do know that I purchased many Jeff rolls dating from the 50's and 60's this last summer and along with the listings of these Jeffs where some very modern coinage and other older material. As I said, no inventory and stored haphazardly.

Skepticism is healthy for ANY collector, and I do not deny the "story" sounds somewhat like a fairy tale, but I, for one like to believe in fairy tales! It helps me to keep from getting TOO cynical about a hobby (for me) that I want to be fun as well as rewarding. When I have to question each and every sellers motive concerning the selling of ONE coin, or 1000's, it will be time for me to find something else to do with my time and money. If I like his coin and he likes my money, I am happy.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and conclusions based on their perspective and past experience. And if skepticism comes into play, then by all means, avoid perusing this site. All I ever suggested was that the site was(is)worth checking every week or so to see what new items have been listed.

Whether you do or don't is entirely up to you.

David - I just received from Vern two rolls of fantastic, original Jefferson nickels - 1943-P and 1960. Great material! Thanks again for the lead.

Hoot

David - I just received from Vern two rolls of fantastic, original Jefferson nickels - 1943-P and 1960. Great material! Thanks again for the lead.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Good for you Hoot!

Well David, it looks like your info is starting to pay off for some of the board members. thumbsup2.gif

John

Thank you, Mark, John and roadrunner (welcome!)!

It pleases me immensely that my info has been beneficial to you! It kinda feels like Christmas when this is the results from it.

I knew you would be happy with his rolls, Hoot! I bought a roll of 79 Jeffs

(OBW) from him 4 months ago. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM IS IN VARIOUS STAGES AND COLORS OF TONING---orange-blue, violet, rose, light and deep gold! Attachments are the rev of one of the more colorful ones.

589a8b7a08f95_340708-79rev001.jpg.0de546220d3ed76cadbc087d44154fb5.jpg