• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM:1863 coin/token

8 posts in this topic

Patriotic Civil War token, obverse looks like F-111, which matches with reverse F-271. Why the 3 is munched into the bottom of the bust I have no clue. I say "looks like" 111 and 271 but neither is a perfect match. This is (I think) a scarcer, rarity 4 but not a high priced token. I would estimate $10-$15 but if anyone out there can provide better information, I'd be anxious to know.

Ri AL

Realistically not worth certifying in terms of value, but this is a somewhat better CWT (Civil War Token). It carries a definite premium due to the Washington motif, and appears to be of a better MS grade.

I’m not 100% sure of this, but I have very strong suspicions that this token is a counterfeit. I don’t like the mushy surfaces mixed with all the red that is showing on this piece. Fuld patriotic variety #111 is sharper than this, and I see no reason to accept the fact that a genuine piece would have this kind of mushiness.

A few years ago a dealer showed me some counterfeit Civil War tokens that had appearances similar to this piece. The varieties were not the same, but the overall look was very similar. Those copies had the same grainy surfaces mixed with red color.

I think you are correct on thinking this is a counterfeit. The thing just doesn't look right in hand. I had showed it to a dealer and he thought it was genuine. Guess he didn't look very closely at it.

My husband inherited it from his Dad's coin collection. Hi Dad may have known it was a fake but just hadn't IDed it as such.

Thanks,

Pat